OK, now FX-100 vs LP-95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all depending on where you're at. That boat anchor comes in handy when you have to wear a heavy wetsuit or drysuit and need weight to sink you.

Exactly. Not all of us do that wimpy warm water diving. :shocked2:

Drysuits and mid-pressure Faber singles go together great. Doubled up, not so much so.

I have quite a few tanks at home. I dive mid-pressure Fabers when single tank diving, LP95's or LP108's (OMS 112's) when diving doubles. I dive an HP120 single when So Cal boat diving because of the short fills.

It's all depending on where you're at. That boat anchor comes in handy when you have to wear a heavy wetsuit or drysuit and need weight to sink you.

....true, the Nautilus Explorer spends part of the year 'up north' where it's dry-suit weather, so I'm sure the 'boat anchor' effect is relatively welcome under those conditions.....but for the much more temperate situations, for moderately thick wetsuits, avoid those Fabers ! ...what minor advantage I gained in raw gas capacity was more than overwhelmed by the extra gas I burned jacking with the sucky bouyancy characteristics...extra work for nothing!

...for what it's worth, I personally own dive all of the following tanks:
PST HP 120 (4)
PST HP 100 (2)
PST HP 130 (1)
Faber LP 108 (1)
Faber LP 85 (1)
Faber LP 85 twinset (1)
Faber LP 76 twinset (1)
...plus, I've dove twin LP 95's...twin AL 80's...single AL 100's.....single AL 80's ...single LP 95's.

....bottom line, I have experience with LOTs of different tank/wetsuit combos..... so when I say I wasn't impressed with those particular Fabers, it comes from having a fairly wide basis for comparison.

One combo that I don't see used very often but I find a very good option rather than a large single is double Faber HP71s. With their slim diameter, it makes for a nice low profile rig that trims well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom