OK, my grandfather always said, "if you buy cheap, you buy expensive!", so...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're best bet is to do some test dives with gear. Go to a shop that can provide you with that and if they turn you on to something you enjoy, support them :)

ghostdiver1957:
Some of you are thick headed
or maybe you are unable to defend your picks?

ghostdiver1957:
Send me a Private Message letting me know what types of diving you'll be doing... and I'll let you know what to buy and where to get it the cheapest.
One of the great advantages of a public forum such as SB is that when one person gives out poor advice, somebody else is here to correct it. Kevin, I would be particularly skeptical of any advice that can't stand the public scrutiny.

Kevin that's not quite how dive gear works. Litigation has weeded out most of the stuff that is unsafe or will not give a good value. That being said there is stuff ranging from entry level to very expensive and performance does improve some with dollars spent. The biggest factor however is having gear that fits you and is suitable for the diving you will be doing. In other words the most expensive dive gear is the stuff that is wrong for you.

For the time being invest only in a mask, snorkel, booties and fins. These you will need for your class. If they offer to furnish them buy anyway so that you get certified comfortable with those items and confident that they do fit. Everything else will be furnished and this will be a free chance to evaluate some gear.

There is also the chance that you will hate diving or be totally unimpressed with what you see. Wanting to "try this diving thing" makes me wonder about your commitment. What will it be next week?

Seriously consider being a local diver between trips to Florida and keep that in mind as you select gear. IMO Only by diving frequently will you become skilled safe diver and good buddy.

What you need to do now is spend several hours a day reading and searching in the gear forums. Almost nothing is absolute in dive gear and there are many sides to some choices. You need to sort out the best answeres for you. The New divers and Basic forums are also your friends.

Becoming gear savy is more difficult than getting certified so dig in now.

Pete

KevinScuba:
...if I'm to buy the best the 1st time around, what is the best?

I'm overwhelmed with brands and models. I see that Twin Jet Fins by ScubaPRo seem to be worthy for fins. After that, I'm lost!

Pretty sure I'd like to have my own BC, fins, mask, snorkel, and wet suit. YOu can add anything to the list you think might be worthy, because I love buying new stuff!

AN UPDATE: OK, this may help. I plan on doing most, maybe all, of my diving off of Venice Beach Florida. I live in Michigan, and I vacation about 6-8 weeks a year on Lake Michigan and a couple of inland lakes. So, I might take a dip into those waters as well, but my real desire is to jump into the ocean for a good look. What I'll do from there is unknown. I've never dove, so time will tell from there...

Thanks, Kevin

Well said, Pete!

I agree that since you have not taken the class yet, go ahead and use the gear provided for the class. Once you're certified, try out different gear if you can. More important than trying particular brands of gear is trying different types, especially with BCD's. Try a jacket style, back inflate and backplate/wing. Once you're certified, you should be able to find other divers who are willing to let you try their stuff.... at least that's how it works on the left coast :wink:

As for mask... a low volume one is easier to clear (takes less of an exhale) than the ones with lots of "windows" in carious directions. The low volume ones tend to have the lens part closer to your face, so is pretty good for field of vision.

For fins, you should consider that although the splits feel more effortless in the water, you get a lot more return for your effort with a non split. You said you're looking at the twinjets. The non twin Jets are much cheaper, offer better control and as mentioned by someone else, will give you more options for different kicks styles. I used the Apollo Biofin Pros for about my first 100 dives. When I switched to and learned to use the jetfins (especially the frog kick), I found that my air consumption improved quite a bit!! Turns out that although the splits *feel* effortless whole finning, I needed to fin pretty much constantly to keep moving. With the jetfins, a single kick and subsequent glllllliiiiiiiide can get me a good 10' or more of progress (depends on current, how far I wanted to go, whether I'm using doubles or single tank, etc...). I also found I have more "fine tuning" control like being able to use my fins more effectively to stop forward progress without using my hands to grab or push off something. It's also pretty cool to be able to back up using only my fins.... again, not pushing off something with my hands.

Anyhow, have fin with your class and do plenty of research before shelling out the buck$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom