OK, my grandfather always said, "if you buy cheap, you buy expensive!", so...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinScuba:
...if I'm to buy the best the 1st time around, what is the best?

I'm overwhelmed with brands and models. I see that Twin Jet Fins by ScubaPRo seem to be worthy for fins. After that, I'm lost!

Pretty sure I'd like to have my own BC, fins, mask, snorkel, and wet suit. YOu can add anything to the list you think might be worthy, because I love buying new stuff!

Thanks, Kevin

*Best* is a rather subjective term. The most expensive is NOT always the best. You also have not indicated on what type of diving you plan on doing? Rather than tell you what you should dive with, I'll tell you what I dive with:

Zeagle Ranger BCD (soon to be replaced by a Stiletto. Don't need that much lift for rec diving even in a drysuit).
Zeagle DS50/ZX reg. Good breather, and sealed.
Aeris Atoms II computer - I would potentially upgrad to AI hoseless, but THAT is a very expensive option.
Standard Console with SPG/Compass/Depth - not even sure what brand, but it's compact.
Zeagle Octo+ - Some perfer a regular Octo.
Mares XVision mask
Snorkel - who cares what type, I often don't carry it on dives.
Apollo Bio Fins with Spring straps - love em, but some love Jets
3mm fullsuit - Tilos superstreach - but most are good IF they FIT
Bare Nex-Gen Drysuit - A solid inexpensive drysuit
Blue Reef 5mm booties soft.
5mm hard sole booties for Dry.

In any event, while I could certainly recommend a LOT more expensive options, I'm happy with this setup, and many of the components I purchased used.

Fit is Key with BCD, exposure protection, mask, and even fins to a degree. BC's generally fit a wide range of sizes, but you need to at LEAST understand what type you want, and have an idea of how much weight you may need to put in the thing. Diving Dry will dictate a LOT more weight, and many BC's may not hold 30# for example.

There are sooo many good regs out there these days that one is hard pressed to find a reason to spend $500 vs. something like the mid line Atomics that run in the $300 range. Let's face it, EVERY LDS I have seen uses mid line regs in their rental and training fleet. If they can use mid line regs as workhorses, then the average diver who will likley use them MUCH less vs. the rental is going to be OK without top of the line.

Good Luck, you have a LOT of decisions to make.

JimC..........maybe you don't have all the money in the world BECAUSE you are a diver. Its a wonderful sport but it does like money. We do all we can on our web site to ease the burden.

Happy Diving

I could easily afford that pile of stuff if I hadn't wasted money on junk the first time around.

ghostdiver1957:
Send me a Private Message letting me know what types of diving you'll be doing... and I'll let you know what to buy and where to get it the cheapest.

Welcome to the Hobby!
Why don't you share your wisdom with all of us.

KevinScuba:
I see that Twin Jet Fins by ScubaPRo seem to be worthy for fins. After that, I'm lost!

Pretty sure I'd like to have my own BC, fins, mask, snorkel, and wet suit. YOu can add anything to the list you think might be worthy, because I love buying new stuff!

with mask and wetsuit i'd go with whatever gives the best fit. you should try them out in the store and mask in the pool - make sure it doesn't leak easily even when the mask strap is just loosely tightened. also, i prefer to use a soft mask strap. price is not that imporant for these items.

for fins, first decide whether you want split fins or non-split fins. splits are best for flutter kick and take less effort to use, but they are not effective for other kick styles. also, some people prefer light fins for travel purposes, others like heavy fins because they make it easier to control trim. once you decide on the general model, then ask for further recommendations. most people seem to like spring/bungee straps regardless of the model.

for bc, you should first decide whether you want a regular jacket bcd, a backinflate or a backplate and wing bcd. once you make up your mind, then you should ask for further recommendations.

You still located near cadillac? who did you certify through the shop there in cadillac, or one of the shops in traverse? I certified through GL Scuba in traverse.

Nope, I live in the country 30 miles south west of Detroit now. I vacation in Cadillac and upper Michigan 2 months a year. Still have family and friends in Cadillac.

Kevin

send me a pm with your email address and when i get home later tonight i can send you a list of all the dive shops in michigan. There is a couple good shops that will help you out a lot with gear selection. The'll steer you in the right direction. There is one in ann arbor i use divers inc. http://www.diversinc.com/ and another is Sea The World in farmington hills www.seatheworld.org.

What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for you. If you can, find a dive club (or 2) and hang out with them. Rent whatever gear you can and join them on dives. See what others are using and ask why. Most likely you will find divers willing to swap gear or lend you gear to try. Don't rush it. You'll be suprised how many of us purchased 2 BC's within the first year or so, as well as other gear.

Talk to the people who dive, not people who only work behind the counter. Visit popular dive sites and you'll see who actually is out there diving. As you have a better idea of your diving goals, you'll be in a better position to make an educated decision.

Have Fun.

Back
Top Bottom