OK, my grandfather always said, "if you buy cheap, you buy expensive!", so...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinScuba

Registered
Reaction score
...if I'm to buy the best the 1st time around, what is the best?

I'm overwhelmed with brands and models. I see that Twin Jet Fins by ScubaPRo seem to be worthy for fins. After that, I'm lost!

Pretty sure I'd like to have my own BC, fins, mask, snorkel, and wet suit. YOu can add anything to the list you think might be worthy, because I love buying new stuff!

AN UPDATE: OK, this may help. I plan on doing most, maybe all, of my diving off of Venice Beach Florida. I live in Michigan, and I vacation about 6-8 weeks a year on Lake Michigan and a couple of inland lakes. So, I might take a dip into those waters as well, but my real desire is to jump into the ocean for a good look. What I'll do from there is unknown. I've never dove, so time will tell from there...

Thanks, Kevin

Hi Kevin and welcome to the board.

You need to fill out your profile just a little more. We have no clue on how to advise you on your gear. Are you diving in Europe or in Washington state where you are def going to need a dry suit? Are you living in Barbados or Florida where a shortie would do most of the time?

Do you plan to travel whereby a big cumbersome vest style bcd would not be as good as other options? There are lots of options but how you plan to use it makes a huge difference.

But welcome to the board and have fun. And let me be the first.....get a bp and wing and save yourself a lot of time.
rich

Welcome to the board Kevin.

To add to what Rich has said, there are many different diving styles and interest. If you intend to only travel to warm water a couple of times a year, one type of gear will do fine. On the other hand, if you intend to cave dive that's a totally different set of gear. Your profile does not indicate if you are certified yet so I am going to guess that you are not or have just got certified. The best advice anyone can give you is to rent, beg or borrow different models, types and brands of gear until you have a better idea of what type of diving you will be doing and the style of gear you prefer.
I mostly dive warm water. My preferred gear is a light weight backinflate style BC with weight integration and paddle fins (I don't like split fins- others love them). If I were cave diving, I would have a totally different set of gear.
As far as brands go, most all the major brands make quality gear. Your decision needs to be based on which model/style best suits your needs. One other consideration is service. Apex regs are first class BUT it the nearest dealer is 1000 miles away and you need to have it serviced, a Scubapro reg from the dealer 5 miles away may have been a better choice.

You're going to stay overwhelmed for awhile, so get used to it. :wink: I agree with everyone else, your gear choices are going to determine what kind of gear you need or want to a certain extent.

For instance, if you're a warm water diver only, you might not need those Twin Jets, and might prefer fins that give you more precision finning rather than speed and thrust. I know quite a few people who dive in my local area with splits for cold water diving, but prefer paddles when they dive warm. I also know people who love their splits for all diving, and some that prefer paddles all the time.

Personally, I hate splits, finding them floppy feeling and hard to control for precision maneuvering. I'll stick with my paddles...though even those aren't created equal. I just spent 3 weeks searching for the right paddle fins (to replace ones that died) and was pleased when the Jet Fins were perfect...so I bought them.

If you aren't certified yet or just certified, you might want to try renting various brands to see what you like before purchasing. Whatever you do, make sure you try on a lot of stuff (and better, try things in the water) before purchasing. Don't go by anyone's recommendation that something is "the best". The "best" equipment is the stuff that fits the best and works well for your style of diving.

If I were given all the money I have spent on dive gear back, this would be my list:

Henderson 3mm wetsuit + core warmer
DUI CLX or TLS custom cut DS
DC 200g full strech TPS thinsulate
DC 200g TPS vest
DC 400g TPS Extream thinsulate
SS and AL Back plate
Halcyon Eclipse 30# Singles Wing
Halcyon, Agir(sp), DSS 50-60# Doubles Wing
Luxifer AL80
Luxifer AL40 *2
Luxifer AL6
PST E8-130 doubles *2
Luxifer AL80 doubles *2
Apex DS4/TX50 * 5
Apex DS4 * 1
Scuba Pro Jetfins with Spring straps
Low volumn mask that fits *2 - Or more. Find a gem, buy a life time supply
Salvo 18W remote balast HID
Mini LED Scout *2
Stack of finger spools, assorted sizes
Halcyon or Salvo primary reel
Halcyon 3' saussage
Halcyon 6' saussage
Carter/Halcyon semi-closed 40-60# lift bag
Bottom Timer w/ stopwatch function
Accessories like wetnotes/sheeres/etc
Dive Truck to haul it all

That gets me to the point where I want to start looking at scooters and home fill stations.

My rough rull of thumb would be to get the intermediate priced equipment (after trying as much stuff as you can) stay away from entry level stuff, as my instructor said, your gear will last a lifetime of diving, don't get entry level gear, only to replace all/most of it in the first year. You probably don't need the cream of the crop ether

all major brands now are very reliable so don't fall into the "this is safer equipment" line

DB

Hi,
If I were give all the monies, I will spend on dive gears
MK25/S600 Regulator set
Apeks Atx200
Apeks 200
Apeks Nitrox Atx100
Halcyon Explorer 40/ Double wing
Halcyon Eclipse 30/ Single Wing
Halcyon Mask
OMS Mask
Halcyon 6' sausage
Delta P VR3 C4 CCR
Scuba Pro Thermal Tech
Halcyon Helios NIMH Primary Lights
Halcyon Defender Spool 23m

For a travelling and local warm water recreational diver:
Atomic T2 Regulator
Zeagle Stilletto BC
Tusa Zoom Split fins with new stiffer compound
Mares X Vision black skirt mask
Aeris AI Hoseless Computer
3mm Oneill 3000x wetsuit
Bare 3mm hooded vest
Henderson 3mm Gold Core booties

KevinScuba:
...if I'm to buy the best the 1st time around, what is the best?

I'm overwhelmed with brands and models. I see that Twin Jet Fins by ScubaPRo seem to be worthy for fins. After that, I'm lost!

Pretty sure I'd like to have my own BC, fins, mask, snorkel, and wet suit. YOu can add anything to the list you think might be worthy, because I love buying new stuff!

Thanks, Kevin

Send me a Private Message letting me know what types of diving you'll be doing... and I'll let you know what to buy and where to get it the cheapest.

Welcome to the Hobby!

when I started last year, I had the choice of renting all gear for $90/day or hurrying up and make the right choice and buy the right gear for me...there was no way I was gonna take long to make up my mind...to spend $90 everytime I went diving would have been idiotic...so my advice is to read the forums here, and try out as much as you can in a short time. If you're not diving much then you have more time than I did. Just don't spend hundreds renting equipment to dive when you could've used it to buy better equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom