OK, Gimme the quick and the dirty on photography...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THellURider:
Just got a Canon Powershot 7.0 megapixels with a Canon Housing and some giant strobe.

Never having done underwater phtography before I am going to Turks and Caicos in a week. (see sig)

I'm sure I'll get to figure it over the 6 days of diving. But any tips would be GREAT.

Thanks.

Here is the secret to underwater photography!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Shot thousands of photos, a couple will turn out great :)

Make yourself shot on manual, this will make you learn your camera.

You really should have bought this system a few months ago and done some local diving with it. Well you can't change that, so shoot a few hundred images in your backyard so you can learn to use that strobe. Think "I want the sun to be the main light and the strobe to fill the shadows do some shots that way then reverce it and usethe strobe as the mainlight. Figure this out on land first. Don't try and figure it out while diving

The camera will work in "auto" mode if you don't use the strobe. But with a strobe you
are going to be in full-manual mode. Be sure you undertand guide numbers and f-stops and how to estimate distance.

If you _really_ don't have time don't use the external strobe and limit yourself to shots that are possible with the internal or with no strobe. The internal strobe will "work" for subject up to a few feet away.

The #1 tip in U/W photography is this: Get close thne get closer. Leave the zoom lens at it's "full wide" setting and use the fins to get close.

THellURider:
Just got a Canon Powershot 7.0 megapixels with a Canon Housing and some giant strobe.

Never having done underwater phtography before I am going to Turks and Caicos in a week. (see sig)

I'm sure I'll get to figure it over the 6 days of diving. But any tips would be GREAT.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom