OK, Decided on a conventional octo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpnick

Registered
Reaction score
Due in no small part to perusing the threads herein! Question now is will someone please provide me some brands/models/$$ to look at? Hoping for something reasonably priced, and I don't want to walk into my LDS and get sold something of poor quality or performance due to ignorance! Yes, like and "Air Buddy"! Thanks folks, ...N

rpnick:
Due in no small part to perusing the threads herein! Question now is will someone please provide me some brands/models/$$ to look at? Hoping for something reasonably priced, and I don't want to walk into my LDS and get sold something of poor quality or performance due to ignorance! Yes, like and "Air Buddy"! Thanks folks, ...N

Any name brand second will work. I would get the same make as your primary, due to ease of servicing and parts. Some folks will get a detuned version of a regulator (no external adjustments) as it tends to not freeflow as easily. I use the same as my primary as I use a necklaced second vs an octo.

Good decision by the way :wink:

MD

Hmmm...

It does kind of depend on what type of diving you like to do? Ie - recreational? Deep? Any chance you might become a professional?

Really, the most important considerations should be:

1- easy to breathe?
2 - easy to get serviced? (ie, a brand major enough that they will be around for a while)

Really, as long as question #1 is 'yes', you can't really go wrong if you are just an average diver doing recreational diving.

You could go right to the top and get an Apeks (ATX200) or you could save a few bucks and get a great low priced Reg like a Zeagle Envony. It does depend on what kind of diving you're doing but for general recreational diving you have alot of great choices. I have an Aqualung Legen LX Supreme and I love but it was very expensive. Also before you buy an Octo set up you should really read a few threads about "long hose" and "bungee'd backup" You'll love it.

Thanks folks. Cali68, I appreciate the search ideas. I must admit those terms are new to me... But then, that's why I'm reading all this stuff, so I don't blow $ on lousy stuff that I wish I hadn't purchased! ...N

I think that you should place matching at the top of your list. Unless you are diving a reg brand that has all really crappy octos(i cant think of one) you should stick with the sameone as there is nothing more annoying that having to take your gear to multiple places for service because one place doesn't support all the brand names on your setup. What type of regs do you have now?

2nd stages with the exhaust on the side, such as the Dacor Viper have an advantage in octo use --- it works equally well with either side up, so it is impossible for the diver using the octo to have it upside down. This simplifies air sharing by avoid the extra 180 degree bend you need to put in the hose with a regular 2nd stage.

I dislike those types of octos because they work a little differently from your normal reg. If your head is tilted the wrong way you won't be able to purge it well, and if you're not used to it, it may raise the stress level for you or your buddy, depending on who gets it.

Get the octo that matches your primary.

jonnythan:
I dislike those types of octos because they work a little differently from your normal reg. If your head is tilted the wrong way you won't be able to purge it well, and if you're not used to it, it may raise the stress level for you or your buddy, depending on who gets it.

Get the octo that matches your primary.
Stress levels also tend to go up when someone gets a standard 2nd stage upside down and it breathes wet.

Obviously, your experience differs from the buddy pairs I have seen doing air share with upside down regs.

Well you don't give your buddy an upside down reg.

Solves that problem doesn't it? Doesn't it make more sense to give them a reg style they're used to, and not one that's "weird"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom