Oil Tanker hits Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
An Oil Tanker hit the oakland bay bridge yesturday and has leaked enough oil to spred 40 miles north of San Francisco into the North coast area and I am told is devastating the shore line's of Northern California!!

Anyone seen or heared anything more or new on this topic??

Ship hits Bay Bridge, spills oil - Los Angeles Times

Hmmm... oil tanker or container ship? OR.... was it carrying lead??

Hmmm... oil tanker or container ship? OR.... was it carrying lead??

No.... you are correct Bill!!

One report said Oil tanker ... but now I have found two that say container ship!!:confused:

As well as one report said it was only 140 gallons and now they say 58.000 gallons!!

That is a big differance to just be a ..... ooooppp's mistake. ya right!

"By our guidelines it is a medium-sized spill. But in the San Francisco Bay Area, that is a big deal," said Coast Guard Capt. William Uberti, captain of the Port of San Francisco and the chief federal officer investigating the accident.

I would hope that ANY medium spill ANYWHERE would be a big deal.

I sure hope there's minimal damage and get it cleaned up efficiently and effectively.

As well as one report said it was only 140 gallons and now they say 58.000 gallons!!

That is a big differance to just be a ..... ooooppp's mistake. ya right!

Yeah, I noticed that too Jim:

All day, officials said only about 140 gallons of oil had leaked from the ship into the bay through a gash caused by the collision. Now, officials tell us the spill is up to 58,000 gallons.

All day?!? they said 140 gallons?!?

That just sounds really fishy. That's like my house burning to the ground and I'm trying to say I'm just burning a little marshmallow fire. :shakehead:

Here's a local article: Inside Bay Area - Bar pilot had reportable incidents on his record, but most were minor

284.7 meter container ship. Not an wasy thing to pilot around SF bay in the fog. Bet ya some commuters on the bridge had to go back home and change underware.

Yeah, but the guy who was actually "driving" was a Bar Pilot. He should've known better. For those not familiar with SF Bay shipping, the Bar Pilot's boat meets up with the Ship near the Farralones, then the Bar Pilot does the actual driving into the bay until the ship docks or anchors. The ship's captain just watches from the bridge.

From my own observations - the fog was really thick that morning - such that I was actually doing things like slowing speed, hazard lights, etc. Unfortunately, the effects are obvious. You can see the oil at certain times on the waters and there are beach closures along the headlands and through to Ocean Beach in the city. Some reports have come in, I believe, up to Muir Beach have people reported oil in the water/on beach. Most unfortunately for the sealife. I guess the Marine Center has been doing what they can for the Seals, etc. Pretty gross and unfortunate though.

Just wish that I knew where to go to give a hand.

Just to keep things accurate:

"... Bar pilots, all veteran captains, guide ships in and out of San Francisco Bay. When a ship is leaving the bay, as the Cosco Busan was today, the vessel's captain has overall responsibility, but the bar pilot is at the controls until the ship clears the San Francisco bar channel, about 15 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge ..." Container ship hits Bay Bridge tower - fuel spills, but span undamaged

Yeah, but the guy who was actually "driving" was a Bar Pilot. He should've known better. For those not familiar with SF Bay shipping, the Bar Pilot's boat meets up with the Ship near the Farralones, then the Bar Pilot does the actual driving into the bay until the ship docks or anchors. The ship's captain just watches from the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom