ohhhh the pain!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theslyfox01

Contributor
Reaction score
Brisbane, Australia. Though I'd rather be home in
# of dives
100 - 199
I got my hands on the tradingpost this morning (second hand goods magazine) it has come out just hours earlier, found an add in it under watersports-

BCD, regs, fins, mask, snorkel, dive torch, and 2 steel tanks - $US100!!!!

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I practically dived for the phone, even if the bcd and regs are rank and the tanks arn't in test its still a stupidly insane bargain..

So I called the guy and someone has got in before me!!! Arghhhhhhh!! :upset:

Now hes calling me in an hour to let me know if hes sold the gear, I dont like my odds...

But was the gear from the 70's or something??? Maybe the guy took a hit years ago and is just now getting around to selling it.

"But was the gear from the 70's or something?"

What's wrong with that? As long as it is in good shape, old gear works quite well.

Sounds suspicious to me; if it is fairly modern, working stuff, it could be stolen. You might want to check with the police before handing over any $$, if you get the opportunity.

My husband was leaving with the boat to go fishing a few years ago and passed a garage sale in his neighborhood with some scuba tanks out front. He paid $60 for 3 AL80's, a dive bag, back-pack and horse collar (in NEW shape), and a reg that was the twin to the one he was diving. The guy hadn't dove for years and was getting rid of the stuff finally.

I was a little worried when I saw him pull into the driveway 15 minutes after leaving for his trip but he had to bring his "find" home :) The gear was from the late 1970's but the tanks hydro'd just fine and the reg checked out too. I think he got rid of the back-pack and horse collar though now that I'm teaching I wish he'd kept them so I could show them because they looked brand new.

My instructor found a video camera with underwater housing at a garage sale for $200. She asked the guy to hold it, did a quick check and found out it usually goes for $800 so she bought it. The guy had "retired" from diving and didn't need it anymore so he priced it to get rid of it. It works great!

On another note, my instructor received a call from someone who saw a bc for sale but it had our university initials on it. She investigated and found it was one that had been stolen while the university was doing some construction near our dive locker one year.

Those deals aren't all bad but you really have to be careful!
Ber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom