OGB Parking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it ok to Park and leave car at parking area near entrance to OGB at this time of year? I thought I read no parking Memorial day to Labor day but want to make sure. I know towns need revenues and are ticketing.

Last edited:
I would not recommend it. I never park in the lot. I have parked on the side of the road next to the sidewalk in the winter and have not had an issue. I think it depends on the weather and how many people are on the beach. After seeing the concrete platform roped off, I think the town is looking for any excuse to make things difficult for divers. Given that I park on the side streets.

I'm not familiar with the area but the towns down there seem to have issues with divers. Is there a reason for this?

Divers I went with to OGB also adviced to use the side of the road instead of the parking, Last winter I only went 2 or 3 times and never had issues. Since they know better, I trust them :)

Parking on the street along the beach is okay during the week (although the lot is not).

I'm not familiar with the area but the towns down there seem to have issues with divers. Is there a reason for this?

Yup... it's legal for divers in MA to take lobster by permit, and there are a lot of folks in those towns who depend on lobster for income. Many of them seem to believe divers are a bunch of trap-picking thieves who are only interested in the ocean because it gives them an opportunity to deprive fishermen of a living. Naturally, any fouled line, cut zip-tie, empty pot, or sign of meddling MUST be the work of those $@*! divers again.

I thought on cold, rainy weekend like this would be OK. And it being after Labor Day too. Better play it safe. Would suck coming out and no car, no phone..

I actually saw that happen one time - the poor guy (who parked in the lot) came out of the water to find his car gone, no dry clothes, no cell, no NUTHIN'! We lent him a cell phone so he could call his significant other to come bring him some clothes and take him to get his car out of hock... it wasn't pretty.

I've also had the police keep a very close eye on us when we had pulled into the lot just to load or unload gear. I usually go talk to them and tell them what we're doing - they've been OK with that so far, but they definitely are watching.

One thing about that neighborhood - it's not just the whole issue of lobsters and we "thieving" divers, but it's a pricey neighborhood and they do kind of consider it "their" beach...and they've had some divers park in front of their houses, sometimes blocking their driveways, strip down "nekkid" to change and (yikes!) pee on their lawns...so there's a bit of a tense relationship there. (I got this from talking to folks in the neighborhood on surface intervals - I'm friendly that way.) So I make sure that I'm very respectful of private property there and that I make an effort to talk to folks from the neighborhood and be friendly with them. Diver PR as it were.....

Back
Top Bottom