offshore o.c.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well this is a belated thread from last weekend. I just figured out how to post a new thread with the help of the "your upgrade sucks" thread.

Sunday we put out of o.c. under clear skies and gentle long duration rollers for the 150 wood wreck. So called due to it being 150ish to the sand. Not your average wreck dive. It was the tales from this wreck that pushed me into doubles and trimix, well worth the journey.
After sleeping in a berth the whole wa out I awoke to a change in boat noise as Ted throttled back to get the hook in. Ted made quick work of that and the pool was open. Visibility up top was a solid 20 and a balmy 60 ish. As I left the travel line for the anchor line I found mself trying to pull the hood farther down over my forehead as the brain freeze set in. Visibility on the bottom was an easy 40 feet and the temp a numbing 47. I dropped off the line at twenty feet off the deck and began stalking taugzilla that I had seen dropping in. He proved elusive and smarter than average, but one shot one kill had the beast on my stringer. The hang was uneventfull and rather peacefull.
Back on the boat everyone else had returned with bounty as well. A few scallops and everyone who wanted a bug had one. Andrew had a big brass valve in the bag, but I am unsure how long you have to boil them to get them tender. My taugzilla was easily 10# +. I never weighed it but dressed it yieldedsix dinners for the wife and me.
Most people did a second dive and more gathering ensued. It is shaping up to be a great season.

Monday we went south 27 miles. We have been trying to avoid some of the usual wrecks due to pressure being put on them from another boat. I am sure I have a leak in my intel chain, because I heard they went there today? We found 50 degrees in 83 fsw and a lot of particulate in the water for a vis of a solid 20'. There was a stiff current up top but the bottom yeilded a surge like the shoals. Anyway it was a flattie and bug palloooza. A lot of juvenile taug were observed but none that struck my fancy as being big enough. One bugzilla of note was captured and released see pic.
Eric

Attachments

• lobster.jpg
    lobster.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for the report Eric. I have to get out! I scheduled a trip this past Sat. and got cancelled out. I hear your out of the loop for this weekend,good luck Monday! Keith

It was a good day to be out. I'm not sure how long I need to boil the valve, but if it doesn't get tender soon, I may just use it to crack crab claws. And Eric, where did you find that XXXS ScubaPro fin?

Keith, I'm surprised you got blown out. The weather looked so good all week. I wanted to know what you thought of the Screw Wreck. Guess that will have to wait. I might try again for a Sunday later this month, maybe the 19th. Kids are taking up all my Saturdays with their football and swim team.
Andrew

Crack crab claws!! Thats a good one. lol
Thats a oms slipstream. My original jets circa 1981 finally retired two years ago.
Eric

Yeah Andrew, I was pretty disappointed but I also know what its like to wish I didnt go out. The 19th is fathers day and if you are interested maybe we can put a dive together on my boat.
Hey Eric, are you busy the 19th?

I've been out on days where the crew said "we've never seen it this bad before" and I was wishing I was back on dry land. I'm in for the 19th.

Eric, I should have noticed they weren't scubapro fins, guess I should learn to read. Nice lobster btw.

What day of the week is the 19th? I think the world cat is trying to go on this sunday. I am hitting the campaign trail one last day on saturday and may try to get on the cat sunday if the wife will give me a kitchen pass. I am up for some diving, your boat, the cat, Teds boat, whatever. Are you clear Sunday or just Saturday? We should all go diving as much as possible. Your boat is the good ride out of IR due to the Delaware Die Hards falling apart. The wrecks out of IR are seeing no real pressure from anyone.
Is Andrew up for some small boat shennagins?
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom