Officials to remove 1970s tire reef that became eco-disaster off Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think they want recreational divers, people can get hurt when you have cranes, heavy loads, cables and headache balls.

H2Andy:
yeah... imagine 100 divers showing up to help, half of them haven't been diving in 10 years; one quarter are dingalings in for a party and get drunk the night before; the remaining one quarter are decent divers but have never done anything like this before

it's the stuff of nightmares

Hey you! Stop dissing my dive club!!! :rofl3:

Darn that dive was one of my top dives I wanted to do ... right up there with a barren flat mud bottomed.

When they sunk those tires I remember thinking would it be cool to dive a city of tires? ..... Not!!!

The only thing missing from this great debacle from the 70s is a story about how the local government paid somebody for each of the tires they sunk, that they are now paying to retrieve now!

yeah... imagine 100 divers showing up to help, half of them haven't been diving in 10 years; one quarter are dingalings in for a party and get drunk the night before; the remaining one quarter are decent divers but have never done anything like this before

it's the stuff of nightmares
For once, I have to agree with you Andy.

Glad this thread is alive again. It is hopeful that those tires can be moved. Too bad the contract doesn't start for another year and a half, give or take..

I didn't know that that initiative turned out so bad.
I've seen the video in sun-sentinel web page and the place seems to be a Terminator-like movie clip.

This reef was surveyed by a ohio university for years still tags on it as my friend jan has mentioned and take a look there are many thing that live on them in a current area here in the PNW.

Langley Tire Reef - JanKocian's Photos

They want to remove for marina expansion yet know all the sea life that is there, we need to have structure close buy so they can move there and continue with a new reef.

Well, that looks much better than this..
OSBORNE+REEF+FORT+LAUDERDALE+FLORIDA%252CUnderwater+photo+of+the+tires+constituting+Osborne+Reef+%25282007%2529.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom