Osborne Reef - Tires for Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Off the coast of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, divers can find what might be the most uniquely horrifying environmental experiments we’ve ever created. The Osborne Reef was constructed in the 1970s and was made to be an artificial reef for nearby marine life to grow on. Scientists at the time thought that it was a good idea to try and copy the beneficial aspects of coral reefs by trying to recreate one with hundreds of thousands of old tires.

1689247621277.png

Have the tires or will the tires be picked up, removed, from the ocean?
What strikes me the most is the sentence: "Scientists at the time thought that it was a good idea"

Such Disasters occur when scientists act on theory and consensus rather than acting on that which is proven by actual science.

Such Disasters occur when scientists act on theory and consensus rather than acting on that which is proven by actual science.
Was there scientific opposition to this at the time?

Was there scientific opposition to this at the time?
And what was the science behind using tyres, which are full of rather questionable chemicals?

Have the tires or will the tires be picked up, removed, from the ocean?
Many have been picked up or removed,,but not all.
Do you have or can get money for a barge & crane?

Many have been picked up or removed,,but not all.
Do you have or can get money for a barge & crane?
Good to hear that some have been picked up.
I can talk to one of my affluent friends and see if he will fund the clean-up.

Here's a link to the Florida DEP page on the tire removal project:

And what was the science behind using tyres, which are full of rather questionable chemicals?
I’m not doubting the foolishness of this venture. I’m curious to know if anyone actually opposed this at the time. Sounds like Goodyear saw this as a fabulous way to make positive spin out of an environmentally horrific product.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom