Officials to remove 1970s tire reef that became eco-disaster off Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's fair to turn this into an anti-government rant. I think it's just a group of well-meaning people, professional and otherwise, who thought they had come up with a creative solution to tackle two problems at once: a disposal problem and diminishing aquatic habitat. They probably thought it was a no-brainer, when in fact they should have spent a lot more time thinking about the implications and running pilot trials, etc.

At the time, people meant well. Tire dumps are an eyesore, and when they catch fire, take years to put out, if ever.
Real easy to second-guess decisions made 20 and 30 years ago...

stepup:
That really sucks. But that just shows the goverments strategy. "If its not broke fix it til it is"

It was not a government strategy. It was supported by a lot of people in the community, divers, fishermen, dive shops, dive boats, charter fisherman. It was thought at the time as a win-win situation. All those nooks and crannies for juvenile fish. Artificial reefs and tire disposal, an ecological match made in heaven. It didn't work out, now the Navy's coming in to clean up the mess.

The FL reef was based on a similar reef further north that had been successful. For reasons unknown, the conditions were different in FL and it turned out to be a disaster. The local govt. should have tested the idea on a smaller scale before allowing the project to move forward.

Sad thing.
I think it's our responsibility to think things through before jumping in or throwing in.
In Michigan we are cleaning up old dump sites around navigation buoys. At one time it was a Coast Guard practice to dump lead acid batteries over the side after removing them from the buoys. I have dove under the cutters mooing area in Charlevoix and seen all the crap the Coast Guard has pitched over board. But they are cleaning it up (the batteries anyway).
It has to be done!!

Regards, George

JC Franklin:
I am speechless. Did they not think to test the plan before dumping thousands of tires into the ocean?

No, I think they main purpose was to get rid of the tires on land and it seemed to be a good idea to dump them in the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom