Official vintage diving instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's just because you have no idea what a "logical fallacy" or an "appeal to authority" is. Try Wiki, it's clearly explained. No charge for the logic lesson.

Hint: no one gives a rat's ass about your "background," or my background, for that matter, what they care about is the quality of your suggestions.
Vintage diving means that you have to consider any number of things that don't even occur to non-vintage diver.

You're right. No one cares. This whole conversation is stupid. It just keeps going because you have some kind of inner need to prove yourself superior to me, and because I am entertained enough to keep responding.

I know perfectly well what both of those terms mean. It is your grammar and context that seem not to make sense. Since you are such an expert on formal logic you should recognize it as non sequitur. No one cares about that either.

I've made several points about vintage scuba, and considerations related to teaching it that are perfectly valid and based on first-hand knowledge of both subjects. For you to attack me as ignorant is simply misguided.

I know you have lots of experience. I know you know a plenty about diving and equipment, etc. But, to climb onto your soap box and start attacking others on the assumption that they couldn't possibly have the depth of experience that you do is simply wrong, and makes you look like a jerk.

Come on, guys, please.

Most of what is being touted as vintage diving is based simply on good diving. That is, being correctly weighted and in control. Calling yourself vintage does not suspend any laws of physics.

My first attraction to bladderless diving was for the finesse. After that, I discovered how comfortable it was.

You're right. No one cares. This whole conversation is stupid. It just keeps going because you have some kind of inner need to prove yourself superior to me, and because I am entertained enough to keep responding.

I know perfectly well what both of those terms mean. It is your grammar and context that seem not to make sense. Since you are such an expert on formal logic you should recognize it as non sequitur. No one cares about that either.

I've made several points about vintage scuba, and considerations related to teaching it that are perfectly valid and based on first-hand knowledge of both subjects. For you to attack me as ignorant is simply misguided.

I know you have lots of experience. I know you know a plenty about diving and equipment, etc. But, to climb onto your soap box and start attacking others on the assumption that they couldn't possibly have the depth of experience that you do is simply wrong, and makes you look like a jerk.
I have no need to prove anything, but you do seem to need to prove me superior and I'm dammed if I can see why.

Nemrod wrote: "Unfortunately neither NAUI or worse, PADI, have any idea what vintage era equipment scuba diving is"

I am not sure you can say that, as I am teaching the NAUI class and I began diving in the 1950's. I will be teaching the same course I taught in 1963 and 1964 for Associated Divers Academy in Melbourne. We took over from Ted Eldred's course, when RAN Commander Batterham finally retired. (He was a RAN clearance diver who worked in the Thames removing German bombs and mines)

NAUI and PADI only approved the training technique, it is the instructors who create the content, prepare the lesson plans and write the manuals. This is our first vintage course, so stating we don't know what we are doing is a bit premature. Perhaps you can criticize us after we have a chance to do it, not before we even started.

The equipment we are teaching with, will come mostly from my collection. They include; Porpoises, a Scubmatic, a Sea Bee, a Dawson Lung, a Lawson Lung, Heinke Mk II & III, a Siebe Gorman Mistral, a Sea Lion II, La Spirotechnique Mistral and Royal Mistrals, a Drager Duomat, a Voit VR-1, a Nemrod Snark III and various US made regulators. The rebreathers include seven Drager LAR Vs, a C96, a Siebe Gorman Salvus, a Cressi-Sub ARO 57B, a Pirelli LS 901 and a Drager LAR VII. It has been a challenge to service the regulators and test the tanks

We were successful with our standard dress courses, so perhaps we can do this too. In any case, we will try. See: DIVING HISTORICAL SOCIETY, AUSTRALIA SEA ASIA - PORTLAND 2010

Steve (Yank Down Under)

Dale C asked about the testing....

The course is just two days long. The first day will be 8 hours of classroom instruction. The morning will be open circuit and the afternoon will be with oxygen rebreathers. The certification will be for open circuit only, as we will not have the needed bottom time and distances for the rebreather certification. We will be doing the oxygen tolerance training in the recompression chamber on the first day. We have a modern and well equipped professional diving business for a base and it also has a sport diving shop on the premises. See: http://www.profdivers.com/

The second day will be in a rented public pool, just as we did in the 1960's. The divers will get a chance to try all different types of gear. The final test..... the divers will have to enter the water, having put on their gear unassisted. They must snorkel to the end of the pool with scuba on. They then change from snorkel to compressed air and descend, to ditch their gear. After free ascending they dive down and put it back on underwater, buddy breathe and then return to the start point underwater. There will be no "octys" or floatation devices allowed and it must be done with inverted single hose and up right double hose equipment. Half will watch, using rebreathers while the other half does the open circuit training. Then they switch. This will take all day.

We also want to show the divers how to use vintage gear in modern situations, such as dive boat charters and up in Queensland where a secondary air source and a floatation device is required by law. I hope that answers your question. Steve

Dale C asked about the testing....

The course is just two days long. The first day will be 8 hours of classroom instruction. The morning will be open circuit and the afternoon will be with oxygen rebreathers. The certification will be for open circuit only, as we will not have the needed bottom time and distances for the rebreather certification. We will be doing the oxygen tolerance training in the recompression chamber on the first day. We have a modern and well equipped professional diving business for a base and it also has a sport diving shop on the premises. See: Professional Diving Services

The second day will be in a rented public pool, just as we did in the 1960's. The divers will get a chance to try all different types of gear. The final test..... the divers will have to enter the water, having put on their gear unassisted. They must snorkel to the end of the pool with scuba on. They then change from snorkel to compressed air and descend, to ditch their gear. After free ascending they dive down and put it back on underwater, buddy breathe and then return to the start point underwater. There will be no "octys" or floatation devices allowed and it must be done with inverted single hose and up right double hose equipment. Half will watch, using rebreathers while the other half does the open circuit training. Then they switch. This will take all day.

We also want to show the divers how to use vintage gear in modern situations, such as dive boat charters and up in Queensland where a secondary air source and a floatation device is required by law. I hope that answers your question. Steve

Excellent!

+2
Sounds very interesting indeed. I would really like to experience an older style rebreather myself.
Hope it goes well and you can post a few pics. Having seen some of your rigs I know they would be great.

I would do that course in a NY minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom