Official vintage diving instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about Great Old Divers.
"I received my certification from GOD!":wink:

I'm not sure, but I think another group on this board (who shall remain nameless), are using this one.

Lisa

Well after awhile I have came to say that a vintage dive club that teaches within, no money for course. To travel and spread old dive habbits is a plus without insurance, and there is no reason you can not have a c-card from a vintage dive club.

Like Airleron came up with (DIVE) Divers Intrested in vintage equipment. after so many years it will be reconized for the great dive skills that is above and beyond.

Not to mention a guess speaker like jean Michael cousteau would be a real start in the right direction.

Happy Diving

Perhaps it IS time for a new agency that teaches all of the old stuff plus the new stuff (computers, Nitrox, etc).
Exactly what I have been doing since the days of "vintage."

That would be a premium course. Instead of a $299 three day special it would be more like a $1200 to $1500 course. I do think there would be a market for people who maybe are already certified (or not) and offer it as a challenge to be the best, strongest, most capable diver they can be with a retro full course, not this abreviated thing they have now.

The whole idea of a vintage course would be to learn the old ways as a preservation of history, not that it's necessarily better that modern day equipment, although some aspects I think are. Diving with no BC and no SPG would be part of the historical adventure, but in a modern world it also forces divers to pay attention to what they're doing.
You are pretty close, 100 hours and (depending on class size) between $1K and $4K.

But preservation of history is not the goal, competent divers is the goal, history preservation is a valuable side effect of having the skills that it takes to effectively dive vintage and modern gear.

How about Great Old Divers.
"I received my certification from GOD!":wink:

That's a GOoD one!

Please forgive me if I stray a little from the topic in this thread, but while searching for the Science of Skin and Scuba Diving I came across this:

A Short History of Diver Travining

It describes in detail my NAUI course that I took in 1969. Right down to the blacked-out mask. It also describes how education has evolved to accommodate the changes in equipment (mainly). So, what I'm now wondering, are divers better divers now with more equipment and less training? Have incidents and fatalities been reduced? Or have they increased? Anyone have any statistics? I've read about a few recent incidents in my vicinity and can't help but wonder if those people with high-level certifications moved along a bit too quickly--lots of impressive badges but not a lot of experience? I'll go and search for statistics now but it just seems like one of those things that I never find the answer to doing a search.

So, what I'm now wondering, are divers better divers now with more equipment and less training? Have incidents and fatalities been reduced? Or have they increased?

That may be hard to quantify. How could they be compared? Certainly, one could not compare the number of incidents to the number of certified divers for two big reasons.

1) There is no record kept on how many certified divers are still living at any given time.

2) I suspect that divers in the early days who had to demonstrate some determination to pass the course would have been more likely to continue with the sport, making the certified diver/active diver ratio fairly even. On the other hand, the vast numbers of resort certs these days for vacationers who infrequently or never dive again afterwards would skew the statistics to appear that there are fewer incidents per capita of certified divers nowadays compared to yesteryear. Certified divers who don't dive can't have diving accidents. Does this make sense?

Originally Posted by ZKY...
That would be a premium course. Instead of a $299 three day special it would be more like a $1200 to $1500 course.

We charged $200 for two days which included two meals and NAUI C card costs..

Vintage Double Hose • View topic - NAUI Vintage Diving Course

Steve

That would be impossible here in the states, especially for a full course. By the time pool fees, insurance, and whatever else costs were covered $200 would be a joke.
A nitrox card costs more than that.

That may be hard to quantify. How could they be compared? Certainly, one could not compare the number of incidents to the number of certified divers for two big reasons.

1) There is no record kept on how many certified divers are still living at any given time.

2) I suspect that divers in the early days who had to demonstrate some determination to pass the course would have been more likely to continue with the sport, making the certified diver/active diver ratio fairly even. On the other hand, the vast numbers of resort certs these days for vacationers who infrequently or never dive again afterwards would skew the statistics to appear that there are fewer incidents per capita of certified divers nowadays compared to yesteryear. Certified divers who don't dive can't have diving accidents. Does this make sense?

I guess what I had in mind was percentages based upon some kind of evidence of actual diving (air fills perhaps) but I sure see what you mean. Like most things, most people probably quit diving after a short time. But even so, it seems like there ought to be some way to determine if there are fewer (hopefully) incidents with, say, AOW certified divers based upon percentages of C-Cards issued overall, as compared to, say, those certified around 1985 or sooner. Or even earlier. It also seems to me that even those divers who are not certified still got some kind of education/training from somewhere, even if it was just reading a book. Otherwise their chances of survival might be rather slim.

What brought this to my mind was reading some of the incidents here and reading that some were instructors or "master" divers (I'm not sure what a "master" diver is) which led to my speculation about advancing too quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom