Off Topic/Article/Tropical Storm Pam - Vanuatu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks. My family is working closely with one dive operator specifically in Vila.
So I can report back where things sit currently
Big Blue Vanuatu in Vila had zero equipment loss and all the staff are physically fine.
They plan to reopen for diving operations on Monday.
They have as yet to survey dive sites but the storm swell was not as bad as expected so high hopes.
Currently the staff are operating as commercial divers. locating sunken boats around vila.
Nautilus dive lost both operational boats -One broken up.
No report yet from Tranquility dive.
Hideaway island resort -base for Hideaway dive took a real pounding the entire resort was flattened.
tanna took an apsolute pounding with very sketchy comms currently.

Now Santo is totally untouched and unaffected. This is the base for all president Coolidge diving.
For those travelling to Vanuatu to dive Most head directly to Santo.
commercial flights have recommenced operation. Vila's airport baurfeild is operating but with no runway lights and no ATC currently.
Luggage is being unloaded by hand and by the passengers at the moment until the airports up and running,
I wouldn't alter any travel plans if going to Santo -again totally unaffected.
Vila etc I'd wait a few weeks.
Santo again is fully operational.

Thank you so much for the update. My prayers are with the island and its people.

Update- The santo area is apsolutely 100% unaffectedm by the affects of pam. So those planning on diving the Coolidge will be unaffected.
Big Blue dive in vila is back to normal operation.
nautilus dive have leased/purchased a boat from big blue and are organising another boat as we speak.
Tranquility resort got off with light damage so is fully operational
So far the dive sites in the Vila area have been almost totally unaffected with only minor damage.
Tourists visiting Vila even now will be hard pressed to notice damage except for the current lack of greenery.
Tanna -Not so lucky-dive operations at the moment suspended.
some resorts suffered only minor damage and rebuilding is happening but at a slow pace.
My personal estimate is 3 months but Ill keep you updated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom