Of Interest: Aqualung Product Recalls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richerso

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey y'all!
I will apologize right now to the forum moderators. This probably doesn't 'officially' belong in the TSD forum, but I wanted my fellow Swampers to know about this. In a lot of ways, I hate to do this because I could inadvertantly set an annoying precedent. I don't normally engage in such noise-maker issues. btw, if I shouldn't do this again, have a moderator PM me and I will cease and desist.

Here are a couple of Aqualung product recalls that I thought might be of interest to the Swampers.

Recall of Titan/Conshelf DIN Handwheel Retainers:
Recall of Titan / Conshelf DIN Handwheel Retainers

Recall of Apeks TX/ATX/XTX 2nd Stage Regulators:
Recall of Apeks - TX/ATX/XTX 2nd stages

I kind of hate to do this; because this practice could become a significant noise issue in the future. In fact, I wonder if the SB moderators could create a Product Recall forum? Just thinking out loud.

Hey y'all!
I will apologize right now to the forum moderators. This probably doesn't 'officially' belong in the TSD forum, but I wanted my fellow Swampers to know about this. In a lot of ways, I hate to do this because I could inadvertantly set an annoying precedent. I don't normally engage in such noise-maker issues. btw, if I shouldn't do this again, have a moderator PM me and I will cease and desist.

Here are a couple of Aqualung product recalls that I thought might be of interest to the Swampers.

Recall of Titan/Conshelf DIN Handwheel Retainers:
Recall of Titan / Conshelf DIN Handwheel Retainers

Recall of Apeks TX/ATX/XTX 2nd Stage Regulators:
Recall of Apeks - TX/ATX/XTX 2nd stages

I kind of hate to do this; because this practice could become a significant noise issue in the future. In fact, I wonder if the SB moderators could create a Product Recall forum? Just thinking out loud.

No need to apologize. In fact, a Product Recall forum would not be a bad idea. I'll bring it up in the back. Thanks! :)

Dang! I thought Ken was gonna bust you back down to SB Private.

Thanks guys. I feel better now. I have never met you Ken. I actually was a little worried you were going to bust my rank.

I appreciate you posting the recall notice, in lieu of an existing forum for such a topic.:yelclap:

However, if you had asked what everyone's favorite dive site was, I'd have voted to have you banished.:no:rofl3:

Well, back to the OP's point, the Apeks recall is the real thing, as I purchase 4 xtx50 second stages last year, and when I checked the serial numbers all four fell within the recall period. An email to Apeks UK had them immediately responding with
helpful test information and even a video they shot and sent to me showing a test method for determining if the unit was affected. Well sure enough, one of the four second stages did not have the chrome diaphram cover that the other three had, and that is the problem...an exposed diaphragm. It works fine, but I think if something would strike and slip through the outer cover opening if might shred said diaphragm...at least that's my understanding. So, my online source stepped right up and is sending me the 'diaphragm cover' and blowup schematics for doing the job myself. I will say, that if I have any trouble making this fix, I will seek out an Apeks technician. Apeks UK has been VERY helpful about fixing this problem.

Additionally, as my luck has it with recent gear purchases, Agir-Brakk has issued a recall on their Wings both single and doubles, and I have three of them. But only my doubles wing was affected. They are responding in the same helpful way all the way from Sweden. They also have a 'PhotoBucket' repair instructional online, and the technician even gave me his personal cellphone to call if needed while doing the replacement/repair! Now that's service. Again, if I have trouble I have a LDS that can do the work.
Following is their recall notice, I apologize if it has already been posted here:

SAFETY NOTE

Compulsory service of wings

We have decided on a compulsory service of wings. The cause of this is that one of the parts, the sealing ring, in both the OPRV and inflator, can be weak. The manufacturer of this part has suffered a defect in the plastic material used.
This fault affects seven batches:
NIORD 44 with serial number TV0607… and TV1107…

HABROK 38 with serial number TV0707… and TV0108…

BLACKBIRD 36 with serial number TV0607…, TV0907… and TV0108…

:confused::confused::confused:

Well at least I have a better understanding of the inner workings of my gear.

All the best,
Geoff

Geoff,
This is all good information. Ken, are you monitoring? This is a good reason to create a Product Recall forum. We could all discuss product recall issues, customer service, helpful advice, and real information as opposed to monitoring sanitized, government sanctioned public information notices. Just a few of my thoughts.

Of course, here in the USA, the primary source of product recalls should probably be the CPSC. But none of us monitor that thing the way we should. At least this way through SB, we can discuss issues and determine if the recall is routine, urgent or an emergency.

Geoff, I am a little surprised that the manufacturers released 'do it yourself' instructions on how to implement the remediation repairs. Europe must have a different mindset as it relates to product liability. Here in the USA, the manufacturers steadfastly say 'this repair can only be performed by an authorized distributor/repair center'. Any attempt by the consumer to look at the defect will result in immediate, and unpleasant, death. The consumer should not, under any circumstances, attempt to visually observe the alleged [edited] defect.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I feel better now. I have never met you Ken. I actually was a little worried you were going to bust my rank.

Gee, that's funny -- I've met you....several times, I believe. I used to talk to you in Debra's shop whenever we were both in there. :)

Now I look stupid. And I feel dumb. Wow! I met ScubaTexan.

Sigh . . . . . . . . Well, I guess I just feel dumb. I don't remember. What can I say? How can I make it up to you Ken? Let me buy you a beer some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom