Odd injury after a roll back entry...some thoughts and help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, that is an awesome list and at the moment I am going with #4 or 7 and hoping it's a strain. I am calling around now on hold waiting to get in to see the doc.

I appreciate the help. I worked out early this morning hoping the swelling would go down a little from some activity but it didn't quite happen. I'll share what I'm told after my doc visit. Thank you again.

A typical ACL sports related injury results in what is known as O'Donoghue's Triad...this is a tear/rupture of the ACL along with a tear of the medial meniscus and the the medial collateral ligament. This triple-threat injury is typically due a twisting motion of the upper leg/body and a sideways fall while the foot is planted. It is typically (not always) a weight bearing type injury.

The medial collateral ligament MCL) passes within the joint capsule and connects with the medial meniscus, so a rupture of the MCL often causes a tear of the meniscus. If their is weight on the knee (think standing) and the upper thigh twists on the tibia, the articulating surfaces of the femur grind on the articulating surfaces of the tibia resulting in a meniscal abrasion or tear. Since the articular cartilage lack a blood supply the body cannot repair the damage so surgery is often needed to smooth out the abrasion/tear if pain is an issue or motion is impaired.

From the description of the injury the foot was not planted and the knee not weight bearing at the time the injury took place so you may have escaped the Triad.

Based on what was described of the injury, and the location of the pain, I would think a strain/tear of one or more muscles/tendons of the upper leg (the hamstring muscle group crosses the knee joint) and or the calf muscles. But it is nigh impossible to make an assessment from over the interwebs. Any suggestion is conjecture at best.

I hope it is not serious and your leg heals quickly.

-Z

I recommend, any time there is lower extremity injury, to take a duffle bag and stuff if with pillows/towels/whatever and put it under the end of your mattress. This will keep your leg elevated at night regardless of what position you sleep in. If you raise your leg by putting something under it you may roll off it or kick it out of the way while you sleep negating the chance to benefit from elevating the limb.

You can also self medicate with standard over the counter doses of Ibuprofin if you are not allergic to it...just don't exceed the recommended dosage and it is wise not to drink alcohol while taking it.

In addition, ice and a compression wrap (ace bandage) may be helpful...ice it 15-20 minutes and then no ice for the rest of the hour....repeat. If you use a compression wrap, start below the knee and spiral the wrap up your leg....it does not need to be very tight.

And don't work out your legs until you see a doc and find out what is wrong.

-Z

Zef, I am incredibly grateful for your help. Thankfully based on your description it sounds like I have avoided the Triad. I got an appointment today at 1015am (2h and 15m from now) to see someone that isn't the exact physician I was hoping to see, but it is at the sports medicine and local ortho group clinic My hope is that they have seen a similar looking injury and are able to diagnosis it. I expect an MRI or maybe I can luckily get away with an U/S.

I'm glad it doesn't hurt, but mentally it's upsetting me since I officially now have a huge golfball right on top of my calf muscle group. I will share what I was told after my appointment and again, THANK YOU!!!!!

Leave it to me to not have a simple sprained wrist that an ace bandage and ice fixes!

Zef, I am incredibly grateful for your help. Thankfully based on your description it sounds like I have avoided the Triad. I got an appointment today at 1015am (2h and 15m from now) to see someone that isn't the exact physician I was hoping to see, but it is at the sports medicine and local ortho group clinic My hope is that they have seen a similar looking injury and are able to diagnosis it. I expect an MRI or maybe I can luckily get away with an U/S.

I'm glad it doesn't hurt, but mentally it's upsetting me since I officially now have a huge golfball right on top of my calf muscle group. I will share what I was told after my appointment and again, THANK YOU!!!!!

Leave it to me to not have a simple sprained wrist that an ace bandage and ice fixes!
Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm curious as to what could last more than 6 weeks and still be vulnerable to a bump.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm curious as to what could last more than 6 weeks and still be vulnerable to a bump.

Thank you I absolutely will! 67 minutes to appointment time.....

I have a friend who tore his ACL. He was able to walk around and do most things fine with no pain if he had a knee brace on while waiting for surgery.

I suspect Zef is right and that you tore something.

I officially now have a huge golfball right on top of my calf muscle group.

Perhaps a tear with a hematoma? perhaps a completely ruptured tendon...when ligaments and tendons completely ruptured/torn through the peripheral nerves are severed so there tends to not be much pain at the site of the injury.

The plantaris muscle has the longest tendon, if that was to rupture the relatively small muscle in comparison to the rest of the calf muscle could ball up and form a large golf ball size knot. The complete rupture would mean the tendon itself might not be painful but the surounding area would be quite uncomfortable as the other muscles spasm to compensate for/brace the injury...there would be plenty of general swelling especially right after an injury like that and lots of discomfort due to the secondary injury from the restricted blood flow caused by the swelling.

I am really interested in knowing what your doc says.

-Z

Baker’s cyst?

I'm back and sadly smarter reading Zef's messages then from my appointment today.

The ortho doc said that it was odd since after palpating the knee and leg in that area, I genuinely only have discomfort and not actual pain. The meniscus is presumably fine. He is of the mindset that it is either leaked synovial fluid, a hematoma, or a "bunching of the muscle". He said that he would like a simple x-ray first since it will show if there is a fluid build up (like a Baker's cyst that someone mentioned above) or possible vascular issues.

I already had the x-ray done and dropped off the CD to his office. They ordered it stat so hopefully it will be read sometime today. I have another appointment tomorrow at 415pm where he will "hopefully be able to drain it if it's simply fluid" or order a more appropriate scan. I assumed he meant an MRI and then I inquired if an U/S can be done instead and he said yes.

He said the odd part is that there is slight sensitivity exactly where I pointed to having injured it, but that is still not sufficient enough to explain a strain or a tear based on what he saw and felt.

I will again update you all once he sees the x-ray. I almost wish he had simply ordered the correct scan right away since it doesn't sound like a basic x-ray will provide much information. For my appointment tomorrow, the sports medicine doctor will also be there along with ortho. They seemed a little more intrigued then I wanted them to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom