Octo on a necklace ... with a twist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you can see, it goes down the back, under the can light (or stuffed in waist band) across your body, behind your neck, and to your mouth.
T,FTFY.

Instead of the 2004 DIR DVDs, I'd get the 5thD-x Intro to Tech DVD (see above) and a copy of Dan MacKay's "Dressed for Success" book and maybe JJ's "Fundamentals of Better Diving" book, then find a DIR instructor.

T,FTFY.

Instead of the 2004 DIR DVDs, I'd get the 5thD-x Intro to Tech DVD (see above) and a copy of Dan MacKay's "Dressed for Success" book and maybe JJ's "Fundamentals of Better Diving" book, then find a DIR instructor.
I hear the 5thd-x intro to tech is a great dvd, I've got a copy coming to me that should be here by thursday :D

Is it mostly in water skills, or does it cover gear config as well?

That's great for diving with your tech buddies, but your badge says "DM" and i was inquiring what your confidence level would be for getting air from a random diver, on a guided dive, for example.

Terry
The answer stays the same. If I'm guiding the dive we are doing a gear check that will include confirming all 2nd stages are functional. If I'm a paying customer then I'm diving with a buddy and we're doing a gear check before the dive starts. I'm not worrying either way because I know my gear is in good shape and I'm going to be as redundant as possible. In my mind I'm diving solo in those situations anyway...especially if I have an insta-buddy.

Is it mostly in water skills, or does it cover gear config as well?

It's in water skills. The best things I've found for gear config are the Equipment page on the GUE website and Mackey's book, although I've been told there are some things out of date in it.

I think most of the scenarios have been covered, with some great explanations of the pros of the tech (long hose primary) setup, which I use - thanks all

I think the only thing I can add which may not have been mentioned already is that I TELL my buddy pre-dive to take the reg out of my mouth in an OOA situation - I then switch to the necklaced spare under my chin

As previously covered, this means he can find a functioning reg very easily - everyone knows where my mouth is - have some room to back off and calm down, if required; as well as making it very easy for me to switch to my backup, which I know works anyway, because I check it pre-dive, use the same reg as my primary, and haven't been dragging around through gunk because it's been right there under my neck the whole time

If I do have a problem with my secondary, at least I'm the (relatively speaking) calm one and have time to buddy-share after they've gulped down a few lungfuls

I'd also think it's worth mentioning that the natural thought is about your buddy's access - but it's also nice to have your backup right there in case of your own need to change in a hurry, instead of having to fumble around for it; I've had my primary fail and start breathing water, not the time to go looking/unclipping

I have a quick question I'd like to interject. I've been diving for about a year, and am already fairly streamlined, but I'm not happy with my current hose configuration. I am planning to convert to a neck lanyard style Octo holder, probably the rubber units I've seen a stores, a 22" secondary hose and a longer primary hose (40", 5' or 7'). My question is, do you wrap up the slack in the 5'-7' hose somehow or do you let 7'-5' of hose just kinda bow around you? I can't imagine the latter. What methods are used to stow the slack? I am looking at possibly going with Miflex hoses.

Anything wrong with the rubber Octo Lanyards, are the bungee style better for any reason?

Thanks in advance.

Do NOT do this until you are trained in using the equipment properly.

This discussion scares the bejesus out of me!!!

Exactly what training does he need to dive a 40" hose?? Even a 5' or 7' hose can be run and stuffed under his belt if he so desires.

I didn't see anything in his post that stated he would ignore NDL's, go down to 300', penetrate wrecks or explore virgin cave systems

You are afraid of what you do not understand. Really, who needs the training here? Maybe you just wanted to issue a "long hose diver" certification and collect $100 or so???:shakehead:

Exactly what training does he need to dive a 40" hose?? Even a 5' or 7' hose can be run and stuffed under his belt if he so desires.

I didn't see anything in his post that stated he would ignore NDL's, go down to 300', penetrate wrecks or explore virgin cave systems

You are afraid of what you do not understand. Really, who needs the training here? Maybe you just wanted to issue a "long hose diver" certification and collect $100 or so???:shakehead:

I'm certainly with Mike on this one. I moved to a bp/w and long hose configuration at dive #6. I dove very conservatively until I learned how to route it, deploy it and dive it safely. 140 dives later and I'm still here.

Training for using a long hose consists of a 2 minute discussion on how to route it, a demonstration of an S-drill when you get to the water, and then have the new guy do an S-drill.

That'll be $100, please.

Two minutes? Really!? My training went like this: "tuck the hose under your strap. I don't ever want to see it flopping around." More like two seconds. I had no questions with this. It is self evident. What could one possibly question here? Surface S drill. "Lean back. Your valves are clear, there are no bubbles." S drill under water, "As we swim to the mouth of the cave remove your primary and go on your second,make sure the hose is clear,replace your long hose and go back on your primary." Now, how simple can it get? My instructor didn't want to unneccessarily hear himself talk so he kept his instruction as simple, straight forward, and as clear as can be. The more you talk the more things get confusing. Kal
Training for using a long hose consists of a 2 minute discussion on how to route it, a demonstration of an S-drill when you get to the water, and then have the new guy do an S-drill.

That'll be $100, please.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom