Octo on a necklace ... with a twist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can be somehow understandabale to tie you shorter hose under you chin. But how I have seen this done is, and what the problem is, that people tie their longer hose (40" octo that is) under their chin and plan on donating their shorter hose from their mouth.

As I understand this was the original problem that 4sak3n pointed out.

When I have encounted this kind of configuration and asked what the idea was, replay is "I plan on gettin a long hose, it's like this until I do".

Thats exactly the situation I saw Lumikuru. The hose on the reg they were planning to donate (their primary) was shorter than the hose on their bungied backup.

Ditto on what Mike said.

Put a shorter hose on the octo and bungee it around the neck where it can be pulled out easily (mouthpiece held in by the loop). BTW, I can't imagine why anyone would zip tie their octo to a necklace.

Put a 36" or 40" hose on the primary and breathe it. If your buddy needs air, he can grab either regulator. If he grabs the shorter one, you can swap after he calms down.

The only reason tech divers use a long hose is so they can share air even in tight places, for example in a cave or wreck in single file formation. I never use a long hose in open water.

Rick

I train my new OW students right from the get-go to use a bungied secondary regulator on a short hose, (approx 22" to 24"). Their primary regulator is on a 40" hose which is run under the right armpit, with a 90 degree elbow on the second stage. This keeps hoses nice and tidy, and provides an OOA diver with more hose length (40") than a standard octo.

This issue has been beaten to death in past posts, but you don't have to use a long hose (5' / 7') to use a bungied secondary reg. Knowing where your alternate is at all times is a comforting thought when the poo hits the fan.

Now, if I could only teach my snorkeling students to use a secondary bungied snorkel, we'd be OK :D

Last edited:
I guess I am one of those Darwin Award nominees. But before you verbally eviscerate me let me explain my thinking on the setup. (my setup anyway).

I was taught that you donate your primary, not your octo. (Admittedly I was certified in the '70s but I think that is still common doctrine).

It seemed to my admittedly second-rate brain that it does indeed make a lot of sense to have my octo close to where I am going to want it if needed (my mouth). Little to do with wanting to "look tec". My octo and primary hoses are the same length. I couldn't see any advantage to having my octo hanging on my hip or clipped somewhere else, especially somewhere where it might be dragging. I am strictly recreational open water.

Admittedly, if I have to share, I'm going to be cheek-to-jowl with my buddy, but I would be anyway - regardless of where my octo was located before the event.

If it matters, my octo is held on by one of the commercially available necklaces from which the regulator pulls free quite easily (nice if my buddy goes for the octo).

There you have them - the thoughts of the insane.

Ron,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your way of thinking (with regard to this subject anyway :14: )

Put the back-up under your chin in a necklace it can be pulled out of easily and it's there if your buddy needs it. Oh, BTW, Its also there if you need it!

You never know when you're gonna lose your primary, the mouthpiece might fall off, your buddy might snatch your primary and breathe it if he has a problem, whatever. Sure, we all know we can deal with that kind of stuff, but it sure is nice to know there is another reg a couple of inches from my mouth at all times! That's also the reason I use a real second stage as my back-up, not some cheapo octo.

Rick

Thanks for the reassurance. I also use the same 2nd for my primary and my octo. Admittedly they are 30 year old ScubaPro 190s. But the chrome looks good :D

Zip ties aren't necessarily a bad idea. Here's a breakaway octo necklace made with an old speargun rubber and a zip tie. It's secure enough to prevent accidental deployment, but very easy to yank free.
sgb.jpg

Rick

Very good point...

Let me qualify my earlier statement: A back-up needs to have a break-away connection. If you can do that with a zip tie, that's fine. When I think of a zip-tie connection, I think of something that is pretty solid.

You need to be in a position where either you or your buddy can get to and use either of your regs.

Thanks for pointing that out, Rick.

ucfdiver:
What's wrong with it not being rigged in that manner with a 7ft hose?

Bondage and diving don't mix. For safety, a diver must be able to get free of gear quickly should the need arise. The regulator must be able to break free of the necklace easily to accomodate this need.

4sak3n:
The hose on the reg they were planning to donate (their primary) was shorter than the hose on their bungied backup.

Did you ask them which hose they planned to donate? Even if you are correct in your assumption, unless they are in tight quarters that won't allow them to exit together, donating a short hose is not always a bad idea. Most divers we encounter, especially those more likely to need air, are 3 seconds away from panic. Keeping them close with a firm grip on their BC and constant eye contact when they are OOA, is an excellent idea. A long hose has no advantage in that situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom