Octo left and spg right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanielRJones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Having just got back from diving in ibiza with sea Horse diving I have a question I hope some can answer.
Everyone was diving a setup with the spg on the right side and octo routed under the left arm including hire kit.

Having dived mostly in the UK all I see is spg on left side and octo routed under the right arm.

Are there any benefits to the setup in ibiza and what agencies teach this way.

As a bonus the diving was amazing and would recommend sea Horse diving ibiza to anyone

Only one agency to my knowledge dictates how regs should be set up. And you are unlikely to have experienced them on holiday.

Just do what works best for you. There is no right way.

hmm..this seems very strange..what side was the inflator on?? Would be quite tricky to operate inflator and donate at the same time..maybe they all have two left arms?

hmm..this seems very strange..what side was the inflator on?? Would be quite tricky to operate inflator and donate at the same time..maybe they all have two left arms?

Why would you be sodding around with a low-pressure inflator whilst donating to someone who was out of gas?

There is nothing wrong with setting things up like this. It's not how I'd do it - but the idea that we would be fine-tuning our buoyancy for the few seconds we are donating an alternative air source is fanciful, to say the least.

Having just got back from diving in ibiza with sea Horse diving I have a question I hope some can answer.
Everyone was diving a setup with the spg on the right side and octo routed under the left arm including hire kit.

Having dived mostly in the UK all I see is spg on left side and octo routed under the right arm.

As a bonus the diving was amazing and would recommend sea Horse diving ibiza to anyone

There are definitely benefits to this. When I learned in Canada in the 1980's I think everyone was doing this.

The main benefit to this is that when you share air the hose on the octopus is straight as opposed to having a turn in it as it does when it comes from the right.

Somewhere along the line the paradigm changed and I'm not really sure why.

R..

Only one agency to my knowledge dictates how regs should be set up. And you are unlikely to have experienced them on holiday.

Just do what works best for you. There is no right way.
I did ask one of the divers and he could not explain why apart from that is the way they learnt. Apart from having the think where my spg was and graphics at water twice it was not an issue and did not feel wrong or awkward.
Only thing I can think of is if in an out of air the person you are donating to would be able to face you and dump air using inflator in left while having their right hand holding the octo

There are definitely benefits to this. When I learned in Canada in the 1980's I think everyone was doing this.

The main benefit to this is that when you share air the hose on the octopus is straight as opposed to having a turn in it as it does when it comes from the right.

Somewhere along the line the paradigm changed and I'm not really sure why.

R..
Thanks.

I did ask one of the divers and he could not explain why apart from that is the way they learnt. Apart from having the think where my spg was and graphics at water twice it was not an issue and did not feel wrong or awkward.
Only thing I can think of is if in an out of air the person you are donating to would be able to face you and dump air using inflator in left while having their right hand holding the octo

Why would anyone need to hold the octo once it was donated? I certainly don't hold my reg in :)

You actually do see this set up (ish) in the UK a fair bit. BSAC liked it: Alternative Source Configuration - British Sub-Aqua Club I say ish as they generally wouldn't have the spg going on the right hand side. However give the bcas lads a twinset and you might see spgs going out of both sides.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with it.

BSAC have a bee in their bonnet about this. Post #2 is correct - either side works OK. The most common set up is octopus to the right. Thousands, millions even, of ascents have been made with that configuration and it works OK.

Why would anyone need to hold the octo once it was donated? I certainly don't hold my reg in :)

You actually do see this set up (ish) in the UK a fair bit. BSAC liked it: Alternative Source Configuration - British Sub-Aqua Club I say ish as they generally wouldn't have the spg going on the right hand side. However give the bcas lads a twinset and you might see spgs going out of both sides.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with it.
Do not get me started on bsac.
I looked at joining my local club last week as a padi rescue diver with 75 dives to be told I would need to come and spend a few weeks in the pool with them then after I have learnt a few more skills I could cross over as an ocean diver with a 20m depth limit till I then start on the sports diver course oh and they sagged padi off and explained the fact that they were cheaper and I would not have to pay for any more padi courses.
Needless to say I will not be diving with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom