Octo left and spg right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Kermit98 Provided a very good and informative post.

I concur with the validity of being a BASC Dive Leader (even if you are a DM or above), I happened to take DL first having crossed over from PADI as a RD. Before taking PADI

DM DL and DM are very complimentary courses with some overlap but differences too.

One point to note (playing Devils advocate) Although RD is consider equivalent to Sports diver by BSAC, during the SD training you do learn and carry out a planned simulated decompression dive.

Depending on the sites the club frequents this is one of the skills they may wish you to learn along with gas planing and perhaps DSMB deployment if you haven't already done it

Most clubs are very welcoming, but as in all walks of life you get idiots too

@Diver0001 is correct - the reason for routing the donatable backup on the left is so there is no kink in the hose when donated - which results in a longer hose and exit strategy options - because of the ability to now swim side by side - as opposed to being forced to immediately ascend - because of the close proximity to the right routed ooa recipient. We used to teach this way in our nasds shop. the reason for routing on the right is because when practicing self regulator exchanges, left routing results in an upside down second stage - which may uncomfortably hit one's nose and breathe wet. right routing results in a right side up regulator for self exchange practice - but since the backup is for donating, right routing makes no sense when compared to left routing.

I've never seen right routed spgs, but I suppose a right routed spg makes sure it doesn't get tangled up with a left routed backup second stage - *if they were both left dangling* - lol. a right routed spg shouldn't matter - unless one decided they wanted to learn how to be a better buddy by subscribing to team diving protocols ...

- cheers

Last edited:
Why would you be sodding around with a low-pressure inflator whilst donating to someone who was out of gas?

Why would anyone need to hold the octo once it was donated? I certainly don't hold my reg in :)
Not really commenting on the positions of things, but... the one time I was involved in a OOA situation, when someone (not my buddy) came for air - in hindsight and after a sort of debrief with one of the DMs, they felt holding the reg in their mouth (and purging it for them too) would have been the best approach in the situation. (Easy to say afterwards...) And if the OOA person doesn't have their buoyancy under control, you may very well want to add or dump air - this could be your's or theirs, but whatever works. Not talking about fine tuning anything, but if someone is dragging you to the surface or something...

(Yeah, that was fun. Not.)

Once again a great plug for Poseidon regs. No upside / downside to worry about. Anyway, I wish that every group would just go with the long hose and off the right side. It will take you from open water all the to the highest level.

Why would you be sodding around with a low-pressure inflator whilst donating to someone who was out of gas?

There is nothing wrong with setting things up like this. It's not how I'd do it - but the idea that we would be fine-tuning our buoyancy for the few seconds we are donating an alternative air source is fanciful, to say the least.
I am just guessing that the point @Pkishino is trying to make, is that if you are at depth and have to make a safe ascent to the surface while sharing air with another diver on your left side, it might be difficult or challenging to control your LPI hose and dump air in order to make a slow and controlled ascent. Just guessing?

Do not get me started on bsac.
I looked at joining my local club last week as a padi rescue diver with 75 dives to be told I would need to come and spend a few weeks in the pool with them then after I have learnt a few more skills I could cross over as an ocean diver with a 20m depth limit till I then start on the sports diver course oh and they sagged padi off and explained the fact that they were cheaper and I would not have to pay for any more padi courses.
Needless to say I will not be diving with them
As a BSAC director, I'd be interested to know which branch you had problems with (you can PM me if you don't want to state publicly). They should have accepted your PADI RD qualification (equates to Sports Diver) and allowed you to dive with them on that. If you were then inclined to go for Dive Leader the crossover training pack contains the elements you would have 'missed' by being trained by another agency. Asking you to start off as an OD equivalent is not on.

Whatever depth you are certified by PADI should have also be accepted.

Joining BSAC doesn't stop you from taking other courses with PADI. How and who you use to get trained is your decision not the branch's.

Oh come on Edward. If everyone mailed you about arrogant anti-padi comments made by your peers then your email server would be busy until Christmas just downloading the mail.

Daniel did exactly the right thing, which was to walk away. Granted, not all clubs would have had the same attitude and there are some truly enlightened BSAC divers but PADI bashing isn't limited to the internet.

As an interesting aside my daughter's ex-boyfriend's father was also very anti-padi and had many of the same "lines". He was an NOB (CMAS) diver and was firmly of the opinion that the NOB system resulted in better divers. When I started certifying my daughter her boyfriend had already been busy diving in a pool for 4 years. I think they gave him a scuba set after 4 or 6 months IIRC. Before that it was just swimming and snorkeling.....

For €?? per month membership.... of course, the training didn't "cost" him anything but eventually he paid a LOT more for it than my daughter would have. Ignoring membership fees because it isn't a "course" is the oldest trick in the book.

Granted I didn't train my daughter "typically" but as of a couple of years ago she was an Open Water diver and looks like she was given birth to by a mermaid. Her boyfriend, meanwhile, was still diving in the pool. Eventually they just gave him a c-card without finishing the theory with him and doing a couple of superficial open water dives.... and they only did that because he complained over and over again that he wanted to dive with my daughter. They dated for 3 years and never managed to make a dive together.

I offered to "fix it" for him but that he would have to cross over to PADI for that at the AOW level because I can't issue CMAS certs but he declined because of his father's anti-padi bias. So now he's a CMAS diver who never finished the theory, never did all of the OW dives, dived in the pool once a week or so for 7 years, still isn't confident that he can really dive and is sure that he can't dive to the same level as my daughter.

That's the club system. Ask yourself who got their money's worth.... The NOB club still insists that he paid nothing for his training.

I could go on..... I spent a couple of days on a BSAC boat in Turkey that was very enlightening.... If you want to know what happened on that boat I'll tell you....but only ask if you really want to hear it.....

R..

Oh come on Edward. If everyone mailed you about arrogant anti-padi comments made by your peers then your email server would be busy until Christmas just downloading the mail.
There’s no reason for a BSAC Branch to be anti PADI as at least 50% of out members are PADI trained. An enlightened branch should be looking at going diving with them; after all isn't that what a branch is for - to go diving with like minded individuals. It is mine.

I'd be quite pleased if when a BSAC Branch isn't following our policies I was informed. It would help to identify the branches we need to spend more time educating.

If you have someone enquiring
There’s no reason for a BSAC Branch to be anti PADI as at least 50% of out members are PADI trained. An enlightened branch should be looking at going diving with them; after all isn't that what a branch is for - to go diving with like minded individuals. It is mine.

I'd be quite pleased if when a BSAC Branch isn't following our policies I was informed. It would help to identify the branches we need to spend more time educating.
Sent you a few pm's

And yet... when I encounter BSAC divers in the field they are -- on the whole -- every bit as arrogant as FFESSM divers, which is hard to match.....this, despite demonstrating diving skills far behind the curve I would expect from divers at that level.

I see you didn't ask me to elaborate about the BSAC boat in Turkey. I think that says enough.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom