Double tank SPG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Transmitters make great handles to lift the cylinders on to the boat... Hence many people add a short hose to have the transmitter out of the way of people grabbing your equipment.
I hear this all the time, I have never actually seen one snapped off from it happening. Outside of a rare dive from a rhib, I also can't remember ever having my tanks lifted onto a boat from the water.

Transmitters make great handles to lift the cylinders on to the boat... Hence many people add a short hose to have the transmitter out of the way of people grabbing your equipment.
People think I’m crazy for glueing razor blades to my tankpod but I’ve never had anyone lift my gear up so it must work! 😏

A loss of a 1st stage on a dive that requires doubles is a thumbed dive anyway, as long as your Min gas or Thirds gas planning is correct, with a failed 1st stage, or blown burst disc, there will always be enough gas for an exit, return to a shotline, or immediate ascent with an smb.

Part of the base of the safety/skills pyramid that you build all of your other skills on is that you or your buddy will donate a regulator that they were just breathing, given that their situational awareness lets them know that you are exiting or ascending with only one first stage, in the event of a second equipment failure.

Therefore the loss of the SPG is a moot point given that you and your buddy are trained and practiced well, prepared for the dive and follow the procedures that you trained on

Outside of a rare dive from a rhib, I also can't remember ever having my tanks lifted onto a boat from the water.
In some parts of the world most diving is done from small boats (RHIB / Boston Whaler / panga). No ladder, so you have to doff your rig at the surface and flop into the boat like a sea lion. Then pull your rig up by the tank valve.

Yeah, the shape of transmitters is rubbish. Wish they could reshape them to conform to the reg. Less grabbable.

This goes back to the Horgarthian, GI3, early DIR days. SPG is on the left, if you hit the ceiling right post will roll open, left post will roll closed. If you r watching your spg and its not dropping during the dive thats a problem check the valve. Doesn't matter how much pressure is in the right side if there is a failure dive is over and if you've done gas management right no problem.

In some parts of the world most diving is done from small boats (RHIB / Boston Whaler / panga). No ladder, so you have to doff your rig at the surface and flop into the boat like a sea lion. Then pull your rig up by the tank valve.
Sea lion flopping RIBs in action

Attachments

• 944366_10153739826519376_3612430845171183027_n.jpg
    944366_10153739826519376_3612430845171183027_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 48
  • giphy (1).gif
    giphy (1).gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
Yes, that's what seems obvious to me. Having to shut down one of the two tanks (and with that half of the remaining gas) would be a dive-ending event. For me at least.
I was just wandering about the redundancy principle, which apparently does not extend to the SPG.
It’s as poster #2 said, you didn’t hit reserve by definition so you don’t need the SPG, because you had enough to ascend in case of failure due to your planning.

However, many people teach to actually finish the leaky tank if you can’t fix it, i.e. if your right post is broken, you might as well finish it while it leaks before to switch.

Back
Top Bottom