Octo clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. That is pretty similar to what i do (except using a couple of o-rings). The RP45 is a real pain to refit and makes you not want to check your octo, best avoided (and it eats mouthpieces)

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
I'm wondering what others are using for an octo clip. I just have a simple stretchy band, and the stupid thing always lets my octo fly free during a dive, eventually. Are scum balls good? Rodales had something called an Octo-Quik, by St. Claire's diving, but I can't find anything else about it (not even where to see/buy one)Just want some suggestions that can keep my octo where I want it, and keep it from free flowing. Thanks a bunch.

I wear my octopus around my neck on a bungee cord. It means giving away your primary in an emergency but you always know where your octo is, it's not dragging around getting full of crud, it's less likely to free-flow in this position, you can reach it blind, etc etc etc.

R..

I figure giving away my primary (voluntarily or not) is the most likely scenario anyway. The necklace sounds like the best idea. I figure surgical tubing and a couple of zip ties. Any better ideas?

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
I figure giving away my primary (voluntarily or not) is the most likely scenario anyway. The necklace sounds like the best idea. I figure surgical tubing and a couple of zip ties. Any better ideas?

if you use bungee cord with a loop for the mouthpiece instead of zip ties. With a good tug, the octo will pull free fron the bungee loop. With a zip tie, you could end up in a serious wrestling matxch with a paniced OOA diver if he decides to go for your octo rather than your primary. (Place DIR slam of your own choosing here)

I use this and am fairly satisfied with it. At first it was not easy to get the mouthpiece blocker into the airway, but I can do it quickly now. It keeps the octopus in an easy to grab position and releases the reg upon a firm pull.

A couple of time the octo came out, but mostly due to may fault (either tugged at the octo or didn't secure the mouthepiece.)

It seems to be rugged and no problems in 2 years (my wife and I both use one.)

It took me forever to find them (everyone wanted to sell me clips, and balls, and all sorts of nonsense). They were like .50 each, and they do the job well.

Peace.
Cathie

Stone once bubbled...
I'm still using this type of octo holder (#RP36 at the bottom of This Page)

For those of you still dealing with the Scuzz ball Octo retainer.
If you like using it and want to keep from having freeflow problems Try this.

Punch or cut a hole at least 3/8 of an inch into the top of the ball. Without a vent hole the scuzzball traps an air pocket which tricks the safe second into purging. It's not really freeflow. There is more pressure on the outside of the diaphram than inside and the unit attempts to equalize just as it does when you are breathing it at depth.

I no longer use or recommend the scuzz ball but if you are using it this may help stop the "free flow"

I use a simple piece of elastic strap purchased from a sewing shop that is looped into a 1 1/2 inch loop. I double it over a d-ring and then slipp it over the mouth piece. A firm pull will remove it for deployment

Hallmac.

THIS RULES - I saw this 4 wks ago while in the Florida Keys diving on a charter.

It costs only $ .99 to make, and you take a rubber snorkel keeper, attach one end with a girth hitch to the D-ring and you place the mouthpiece thru the hole of the other end. It holds great and doesn't pop off, however, it comes out if and when needed, with no hassles!

Really, forget all the fancy octo holders and gadgets. $ .99 does it!

:)

Another option is to mount your Octo on a 'necklace' of latex surgical tubing and carry it around your neck. Its always there when you need it and you can find it quickly and easily with your hand even in the dark or with your eyes closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom