Octo clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
I'm wondering what others are using for an octo clip. I just have a simple stretchy band, and the stupid thing always lets my octo fly free during a dive, eventually. Are scum balls good? Rodales had something called an Octo-Quik, by St. Claire's diving, but I can't find anything else about it (not even where to see/buy one)Just want some suggestions that can keep my octo where I want it, and keep it from free flowing. Thanks a bunch.

first off there is no need to post the same message in different sections most of us read everything anyway .I feel a bungeed backup reg is the only way to go.
Joens

$1 worth of bungee cord and you're set...

Yeah, I realized that I didn't need to post the same message, but after I posted both of them. And the delete function isn't cooperating. What fun to be a newbie on a message board. Good thing it's Friday!

An alternative is a snorkel keeper on a D ring.

You can edit your own posts. Regulators can delete them. The other thread is now gone.

Scubapro has a pretty good looking octo holder. I've never tried it but it seems to be more secure than something like a scumball. Downside is it looks that much harder to attach octo to the clip.

I tried the scumball but had problems with keeping the octo in place and detecting & correcting freeflow. Also was a minor PITA before each dive pulling the octo, testing, and reinstalling. I like to actually breath it rather than just test with purge.

I soon went to the bungee. Never comes loose accidentally, freeflow under your chin quickly detected and corrected, and easy to test before dive. Does occasionally bump your chin or primary but I hardly notice that anymore.

Anything that stops you properly testing the reg before a dive is a bad thing and a PITA. Safety checks are already easy enough to skip without giving yourself more reasons. I know, I've been there :)

The scumball type do tend to damage the mouthpiece if you use use them a lot.

I now use a back-up reg in a necklace and donate the reg in my mouth but when I do use an octo I use a large (1 1/2" ish) o-ring on a D-ring.

Stone,

That looks like a fancy (more expensive?) snorkel keeper.

awap,

I've tried Scubapro's octo holder (they were tossed in when I bought either my BC or regulator). It works better than most, but not as good as a snorkel keeper.

Back
Top Bottom