Oceans subsonic computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anybody know exactly what killed Liquivision computers and the Buddy Watcher pingers? I'm sure someone will get this ultrasonic thing right eventually and I hope it's the Oceans guys, but you gotta wonder why the previous takers failed.
Buddy Watcher seems like an idea that would only work if you and a friend dived alone.
In a group dive I am pretty sure the other people would be pretty pissed off if they kept hearing high pitched sounds coming from you and your buddy. Plus it's $250 for what is really a fancy tank banger, that's a lot of money for an underwater whistle.

Liquievision looks like a Beta product, it just looks like it was never ready for prime time.
Maybe some other company bought out the software and integrated it into another DC.

Buddy Watcher seems like an idea that would only work if you and a friend dived alone.
In a group dive I am pretty sure the other people would be pretty pissed off if they kept hearing high pitched sounds coming from you and your buddy. Plus it's $250 for what is really a fancy tank banger, that's a lot of money for an underwater whistle.

It isn't and they don't. Although I met someone once who could hear ultrasonic alarm, so it's possible to have a diver in your group who may hear it, most humans don't. It's quite fancy for a tank banger: it buzzes on your wrist, and only yours, and sounds nothing like the faint ambient knocking sounds that take minutes to register if you even hear them to begin with.

It'd be nice if DiveAlert made and sold them for less than the original German company, but so far it appears they killed the product instead. So now if you want a buddy pinger, you'd have to wait for the Oceans computer and see the price tag on that. (I'm 100% sure my better half won't let me sell you our Buddy Watchers for any price.)

It'd be nice if DiveAlert made and sold them for less than the original German company, but so far it appears they killed the product instead. So now if you want a buddy pinger, you'd have to wait for the Oceans computer and see the price tag on that. (I'm 100% sure my better half won't let me sell you our Buddy Watchers for any price.)

The price for Oceans S1 Supersonic was €499 and the S2 will be around the same when it starts selling in retail. Right now you can still get it for early bird specials from €299 in the kickstarter campaign.

Does anybody know exactly what killed Liquivision computers and the Buddy Watcher pingers? I'm sure someone will get this ultrasonic thing right eventually and I hope it's the Oceans guys, but you gotta wonder why the previous takers failed.
Huish Outdoors pulled the plug on Liquivision a few years after purchasing the company. It's my understanding that they were never profitable and there were many issues with fading and eventually unreadable PMOLED displays, problems that were unrelated to the acoustic transmission, which worked pretty well.
Acoustic transmission takes power, if you are to get much range. But in many ways it makes more sense than the RF systems that have become standard, which have essentially no range as a buddy monitoring or communications option.
-Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom