Oceanlog 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancurrent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I use Oceanic VT3 and am happy with the computer. However, the Oceanlog software is bad. The UI is crying out loud for a major overhaul. It's not 1999 anymore, you know. When people ask me about my Oceanic computer I always tell them how great it is but also admit that the software is marginally usable.

When are we going to see Oceanlog up to speed with the competing offerings?

Thanks

Up to recently the complaint about Oceanlog was the fact that it had bugs.
This recently seems to have been repaired and some changes made to improve useability.
As for the user interface some minor additions have been made but why change something that works. All you accomplish in a major interface change is creating a learning curve for users.
Oceanlog now that it is functionally sound has a multitude of features that should be able to satisfy the majority of users. So What exactly is it you are looking for that the newest release (2.2.5) doesn't offer?

I agree with you RAWalker, it took a long time to get the LCD and the color graph back into Oceanlog

Ahh, I didn't know that they had released an improved OceanLog. Just downloaded it... Indeed they have done a good job on the graph display which now looks close to Suunto's. Nice! :lotsalove:

On second look, I noticed that they still lack some cool Suunto tools such as dive simulator and DAN upload. Also, Suunto Dive Manager is definitely better organized and sleeker. Oceanlog stil looks like a front end to a database rather than something intuitive and user-friendly. And I am an IT guy used to command-line coding who is not hard to please! :cool2:

I am saying this in way of constructive criticism! After all, I use Oceanic and have interest in seeing the tool evolve further. :D

Oceancurrent
If you are so impressed with Suunto's dive manager why are you using Oceanic? Could it be the important part is the computer and Oceanic's offerings are superior products to Suunto's?
One thing about diver simulators they don't accurately simulate real world conditions so IMHO you are better off without them.
As for DAN uploads DAN can readily download Oceanlog and read Oceanic computer's data and it's easy enought to email a copy of my log if they need it. Just as if you were sent to a chamber for treatment they would read the computer you were wearing. There really is no good reason to add on features that will just bloat the program. The one place I see room for further improvement is printouts. I'd like to see the printouts have more user choice over what fields get printed and the layout. Instead of bloating the software I'd rather have a second version I could run on a smartphone or PDA and sync with my PC after trips.

If you are so impressed with Suunto's dive manager why are you using Oceanic? Could it be the important part is the computer and Oceanic's offerings are superior products to Suunto's?

Dude, this is totally the wrong attitude! :shakehead:

Dude, this is totally the wrong attitude! :shakehead:

Wrong atitude? What's the problem? You've never had anyone disagree with you before?

That is why I asked what you thought it needed. Come up with something really useful and I'll pat you on the back but skip the junk. I think my reasoning is quite clear and from the response from NCaDiver I'm not the only one that thinks so. Oceanlog has plenty of bells and whistles and what you are asking to have added is bloat that the majority of user don't need and wouldn't use.

So my suggestion to you is if you want to give your logs to Dan Email them a copy. If you want a dive simulator buy the video game and use it for entertainment purposes only.

The rest of us don't need a shortcut to email to DAN and if we want a videogame we'll go out and get one. We don't need it included in our logging software.

Well, I for one agree with the OP...OceanLog is ugly as sin and the usability is a close second. And comparing it to another piece of software is reasonable to telling people they should go use that software is just plain stupid. Hey, RA, weren't you the one that defended his constant whining as 'pushing for improvements'? Good for the goose, no?

My whining as you put it was to make what was offered functional. Holding Oceanic responsible to finally delivery the complete package that we were sold.
I'm finding version 2.2.5 to be functional and stable under Windows XP.
This is what I paid for and I'm happy to say the Oceanic delivered.

The features the OP is asked for are Bloat that has Nothing to do with the functionality of the computer and does nothing to increase the accuracy or functionality of the log the software creates. This is logging software not a email and not a electric game!

You on the other hand are complaining about the interface being ugly. Talk about whining! Ok maybe it is, but bueaty is in the eye of the beholder and I for one care less about it's looks and more about it's function. As I did state in an earlier post a revamp of the interface simply for cosmetic reasons would do nothing but inject a learning curve for users that isn't necessary. This and add the real posibility of a new round of bugs.
I see no reason to head down that road unless it is to add functions that will be truely useful to divers. At this point I find Oceanlog creates a very complete electronic log. Although I may like the option to reorganize the material it presents, (both onscreen and it's printed version) I don't find that ability to be a necessity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom