oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport once bubbled...
Thanks, i heard its a good reg for the price. I was looking at the sherwood oasis but that reg has a air bleed and that would drive me up the wall. I really think i'm going with an apex. This is my first reg, its tough choice.

apples and oranges.

no, apples and diamonds.

yah.

APEKS (NO x on the end) are great regs. THey have lots of fans. You can probably get one pretty cheap, if you look around...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

Why do you say that???

The PX-2 is a balanced piston design. Its a high performance first stage. I dont see why you would get any kind of resistance at 110 ft...

Sorry I forgot to include the fact that this would occur should it be mated to something light duty like the alpha 7 or maybe the gamma 2. then you would only begin to feel the resistance

diverlady once bubbled...
Check what temps you'll be using it in. I'm by no means an expert but I have read and heard that piston 1st stages can have problems in really cold water. I don't know if the one you're looking at would have this problem.

Just something to look into. Perhaps someone with experience in this area can jump in here.

Diverlady
Not necessarily... I know this may be a little late, but take a look at the sherwood blizzard. It is designed for coldwater. Had one for years, alot of shops use them in rental. They work awesome. But they are a piston reg. Basically you want a heat sink on the second stage and an environmental seal (like the one on your DX4) on the firast stage. I heard that mane can be used as insulation is a leaky wetsuit....?

rescuediver009 once bubbled...
Not necessarily... I know this may be a little late, but take a look at the sherwood blizzard. It is designed for coldwater. Had one for years, alot of shops use them in rental. They work awesome. But they are a piston reg. Basically you want a heat sink on the second stage and an environmental seal (like the one on your DX4) on the firast stage. I heard that mane can be used as insulation is a leaky wetsuit....?

The reason why the sherwood blizzard is nominally good for cold water, is because of the dry air bleed. Most other piston designs are open to the environment. Meaning, you will have water all around the piston tube and spring. So, if you are diving in 35 deg F water, there is 35 deg water around the piston and spring. Not good for cold water. I would never dive below 40 with a piston. ANd even then, I wouldnt trust it. For me, the only reg for cold water is an environmentally sealed DIAPHRAGM first stage...

rescuediver009 once bubbled...

Sorry I forgot to include the fact that this would occur should it be mated to something light duty like the alpha 7 or maybe the gamma 2. then you would only begin to feel the resistance

I disagree. The Alpha 7 and the Gamma 2 are both nice second stages...

Try it at 130ft and report back...

I've got a Delta 3 with a DX4....not a big fan. It does seem hard to breath and it DOES leak (contrary to the LDS opinion). I wish I had gone with the APEKS I really wanted...

Back
Top Bottom