Oceanic vs. Uwatec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with the Sol and got quite used to the size so it does not bother me, as I wear it on my forearm. For night diving I keep the backlight on and use the Light configuration with large numerals. I still prefer my analog compass, but it was nice to have the digital as backup when my Suunto SK7 compass locked up. I've set mine to L1 as I found L2 too conservative, and I follow the deep stops.

Ignore the naysayers about AI. It's a great safety feature as it shows you your gas supply each time you glance at your depth, and it's pretty accurate in computing air time remaining. Nevertheless you still need a small backup SPG just in case. The PC SmartTrak is OK software. Uploads the data very fast and gives you all the info about tank pressures and SAC.

I dive with the Sol and got quite used to the size so it does not bother me, as I wear it on my forearm. For night diving I keep the backlight on and use the Light configuration with large numerals. I still prefer my analog compass, but it was nice to have the digital as backup when my Suunto SK7 compass locked up. I've set mine to L1 as I found L2 too conservative, and I follow the deep stops.

Ignore the naysayers about AI. It's a great safety feature as it shows you your gas supply each time you glance at your depth, and it's pretty accurate in computing air time remaining. Nevertheless you still need a small backup SPG just in case. The PC SmartTrak is OK software. Uploads the data very fast and gives you all the info about tank pressures and SAC.

Agree, not all AI is unreliable. One of my buddies has a Luna and other than flat battery has never had an AI signal drop.

Reactions: CPH
Classic case of SBers recommending their favorites rather than answering the OPs question.

Actually, I think they had a VERY relevant point. Instead of spending $1100 on a mediocre computer/tx/USB with poor UI and shoddy screen, think about getting the MUCH more flexible, capable, friendlier Petrel and save $250 (or heck, spend it on a backup). The Petrel offers an incredible screen, incredible ease of use, and a built-in method of transferring data to your computer. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out a MUCH, MUCH better option for $250 less. Calling it a "Tech computer" shouldn't be detrimental. It is more reliable than rec computers, and is even more capable on rec-depth dives than rec computers as this won't lock you out for random reasons but will heavily advise if things go wrong.

Between the Uwatec and the Oceanic, the Uwatec's stupid heart-monitor thing is one of the biggest turn-offs to me! I've only heard good reviews from people that have only used the Uwatec or worse computers. Informed reviews have been negative. I own the Hollis DG03 (practically the same as the VT4) and I can say that the menus are counterintuitive and it's hard to navigate. I took the online class, I've read through the manual, I'm VERY good with computers and this kind of thing, and I had a hard time navigating it. The first time I picked up a Petrel, it was simply intuitive.

Actually, I think they had a VERY relevant point. Instead of spending $1100 on a mediocre computer/tx/USB with poor UI and shoddy screen, think about getting the MUCH more flexible, capable, friendlier Petrel and save $250 (or heck, spend it on a backup). The Petrel offers an incredible screen, incredible ease of use, and a built-in method of transferring data to your computer. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out a MUCH, MUCH better option for $250 less. Calling it a "Tech computer" shouldn't be detrimental. It is more reliable than rec computers, and is even more capable on rec-depth dives than rec computers as this won't lock you out for random reasons but will heavily advise if things go wrong.

Between the Uwatec and the Oceanic, the Uwatec's stupid heart-monitor thing is one of the biggest turn-offs to me! I've only heard good reviews from people that have only used the Uwatec or worse computers. Informed reviews have been negative. I own the Hollis DG03 (practically the same as the VT4) and I can say that the menus are counterintuitive and it's hard to navigate. I took the online class, I've read through the manual, I'm VERY good with computers and this kind of thing, and I had a hard time navigating it. The first time I picked up a Petrel, it was simply intuitive.

OK, perhaps I was a bit harsh. The OP specifically asked about two AI computers, I attempted to partially answer the question. There's certainly nothing wrong with offering an alternative. The OP can decide how to use the additional information.

....and sorry if I sounded grumpy. All I meant was it's a cheaper computer that's better in every way besides AI, and AI doesn't REALLY do much. The $250 difference between the AI options and the Petrel is more than enough to convince me to just look at the SPG I have to carry anyway. The screen alone is enough reason for me to give up AI. The other factors make it a non-decision for me.

The price point is relevant only to an extent. I am either getting a brand new Oceanic VT4.1 for $695 with transmitter or brand new Uwatec Luna for $860 also with a transmitter. For the money, I am trying to figure out which is best.

I changed Sol to Luna as I didn't initially realize there was very little difference between the two.

Even at those prices, I'd pay an extra $90-$250 for the Petrel.....you'd be much better off.

You already know my thoughts on the VT4 and the Sol. The Luna is the same as the Sol, imho. A buddy had one and hated it. Also, that heart-rate sensor is just such a turn-off.

Even at those prices, I'd pay an extra $90-$250 for the Petrel.....you'd be much better off.

You already know my thoughts on the VT4 and the Sol. The Luna is the same as the Sol, imho. A buddy had one and hated it. Also, that heart-rate sensor is just such a turn-off.

I believe the heart rate sensor can be switched off.

To the OP, of the two I'd pick the Luna. I was looking to buy one a couple of years ago but in the end decided not to in part due to the size, I'm kind of small and it looked like an iPad was strapped to my arm. The other reason was my eyes are not getting any younger and I found a colour display much easier to read especially in low viz. I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them though. Good luck with your decision.

....and sorry if I sounded grumpy. All I meant was it's a cheaper computer that's better in every way besides AI, and AI doesn't REALLY do much. The $250 difference between the AI options and the Petrel is more than enough to convince me to just look at the SPG I have to carry anyway. The screen alone is enough reason for me to give up AI. The other factors make it a non-decision for me.

Personally, I like having AI. I have a reasonably exact air consumption and an accurate SRMV for my last 350 dives from July 2010 to date. I find the data very interesting and useful to me. I did try to manually calculate my SMRV prior to having AI, but often neglected to capture my starting and/or ending pressure. Note, I do carry a non-AI computer, running the same algorithm, and a SPG as backup. I have never had to use them, but I could.

Choice of algorithm may also play a role in computer selection and may be dependent on type of diving, recreational vs. technical. My diving is nearly all recreational and I have been happily diving the DSAT algorithm for a dozen years. Some may not want to use the Buhlmann ZHL-16C for the type of diving I do, but may find it, with the gradient factors, ideal for decompression diving. Or, one may opt for the VPM-B option available with the Petrel. Dive computer selection is a very individual activity, good luck to us all. The more you know, hopefully, the better selection you can make. The vast amount of information available on SB can be very helpful.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom