Oceanic Geo 4.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking at replacing my old Oceanic Veo 200 with the Oceanic Geo 4.0. My main computer is the Oceanic Pro Plus 3. I like the idea of both computers using the same algorithms.

Some of my buddies have gone to the Shearwater Perdix, but it doesn't seem compatible with their other computers. The Perdix will go into deco mode, while they still have several minutes of no decompression time on their main computers - sorry I don't know what everyone is using.

I have looked at the Perdix, but with transmitter the cost would be over 2k with taxes. I don't really need the transmitter, so would be looking around 1300 plus taxes.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions - good or bad - on the Geo 4.0. I have done a search of the different threads, but would like some up to date opinions.

Thanks and dive safe !!

Divegoose

I have the Oceanic Geo 2.0 and love it; I will probably replace it with the 4.0 when the time comes. It's not fancy but it supports Nitrox, does what it needs to do (no AI, but I don't mind that), and I like its smaller size relative to other computers out there. And, it's relatively affordable, and isn't terribly conservative (but can be set conservative if you prefer).

Hi @Divegoose

I'm assuming you are running the DSAT deco algorithm, I don't think the Veo 200 runs the more conservative PZ+

I also have a Geo 2, it is a great computer, it is now my son's backup to a VT 4. I would imagine the Geo 4 is a very good computer also, costs 440 USD

Since you don't need AI, the Shearwater Peregrine is an alternative to the Perdix 2. It costs 530 USD.

I have been diving a second computer running Buhlmann to my Oceanic VT3 since 2015, first a Dive Rite Nitek Q and then a Shearwater Teric since 2019. Running a GF high of 95 matches DSAT pretty well. A very little more conservative on 1st dive, especially deep, and a little more liberal on repetitive dives, especially shallower. I simply have the more conservative computer control no stop dives and clear one or both for light deco.

It might help if you supply your buddies' computer information, brands and settings.

Good luck on your computer purchase.

I bought two Geo 4s for me and my partner three years ago. Both have been great though two weeks ago my partner’s started playing up and the ‘select’ button doesn’t work. It’s only had around 30 dives on it so it’s a little annoying.

My only other frustration is that the battery needs replaced roughly once a year regardless of how many dives you do as it doesn’t have a sleep / off mode. Other than that, I think it’s a great computer.

I bought two Geo 4s for me and my partner three years ago. Both have been great though two weeks ago my partner’s started playing up and the ‘select’ button doesn’t work. It’s only had around 30 dives on it so it’s a little annoying.
You didn't say how the button does not work. Have you tried something very simple like soaking it in warmish water overnight, pushing the buttons several times while it is in the water? I do that with all my computers at the end of a series of dives, before storage.

For another $100 you could get a Peregrine. I had the Geo 4.0 and really liked it 'for a season', but I had several things I didn't like.
  • It's hard to tell if/when the battery needs to be replaced.
  • If you aren't changing the settings via the app they are hard to toggle through. Hard to navigate.
  • There seems to be a secret trick to getting the thing to connect to your phone via bluetooth to download the dives. I generally pushed buttons until it worked. I would chalk it up to my general impatience, but my husband (R) had the same problem.
I gave my Geo to R and got a Peregrine. A year later he also bought a Peregrine.
  • SOOOO easy to read - day, full-sun or night dives,
  • So easy to change settings,
  • So easy to connect to phone to download dives,
  • You can turn it off when not in use, and
  • Its battery is built in and you recharge the unit with a cord.

You didn't say how the button does not work. Have you tried something very simple like soaking it in warmish water overnight, pushing the buttons several times while it is in the water? I do that with all my computers at the end of a series of dives, before storage.
Yea we’ve tried soaking it in water but no luck. The button moves ok but it doesn’t do anything upon pressing.

Hi @Divegoose

I'm assuming you are running the DSAT deco algorithm, I don't think the Veo 200 runs the more conservative PZ+

I also have a Geo 2, it is a great computer, it is now my son's backup to a VT 4. I would imagine the Geo 4 is a very good computer also, costs 440 USD

Since you don't need AI, the Shearwater Peregrine is an alternative to the Perdix 2. It costs 530 USD.

I have been diving a second computer running Buhlmann to my Oceanic VT3 since 2015, first a Dive Rite Nitek Q and then a Shearwater Teric since 2019. Running a GF high of 95 matches DSAT pretty well. A very little more conservative on 1st dive, especially deep, and a little more liberal on repetitive dives, especially shallower. I simply have the more conservative computer control no stop dives and clear one or both for light deco.

It might help if you supply your buddies' computer information, brands and settings.

Good luck on your computer purchase.

Well after much research and checking different computers out, I went with the Shearwater Peregrine as my backup. Some of my local dive buddies are also using the Peregrine and really like it. One feature that was a selling point for me was the ability to adjust text and colour backgrounds, which makes it easier for me to read.

Since I didn't need the air integration feature, I decided the Peregrine was the best choice for my needs, and was actually a little less expensive than the Geo 4. I'll be putting it through its paces in Cozumel for the next couple of weeks !!

Divegoose

After two weeks in Cozumel, I really like the Peregrine. It was easy to read underwater, and provided all the information I needed for safe dives. Easily adjustable for air or nitrox. Very happy with the choice I made.

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom