Oceanic vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevo88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I've been saving pennies and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a computer. I have it narrowed down to the Oceanic Geo 2.0 or the Aqualung i200. Basically the same computer, except the Oceanic has the dual algorithm option. My question is, how much weight should I put on that? I can get the Aqualung about 20 bucks cheaper through my lds with the dive student discount.

I've got the Geo 2, never used anything else, and I'm very happy with it. Spend an hour or so getting familiar with the menu navigation then it's really easy to use and super clear underwater.

If $20 is worth being limited to a considerably more conservative decompression algorithm, by all means, go for it

You make a very compelling argument lol. So the DSAT algo is going to be a lot more liberal than the PZ+?

I've got the Geo 2, never used anything else, and I'm very happy with it. Spend an hour or so getting familiar with the menu navigation then it's really easy to use and super clear underwater.

It seem like there's a lot of love for the Geo. You ever feel limited by it's ndl's compared to other divers?

You make a very compelling argument lol. So the DSAT algo is going to be a lot more liberal than the PZ+?

It seem like there's a lot of love for the Geo. You ever feel limited by it's ndl's compared to other divers?

DSAT is the 2nd most liberal commercially available decompression algorithm after the Cochran algorithm. Take a look at the tables at the end of any of the Oceanic manuals to compare 1st dive NDLs for DSAT vs PZ+. After Aqua Lung acquired Pelagic Pressure Systems from American Underwater Products.(Oceanic), it appears they were limited to PZ+ and are unable to implement DSAT. Keep in mind that the DSAT work is also the basis for the PADI RDP. Many 1st time computer purchasers are completely unaware of the differences in decompression algorithm and base their purchase on other variables. Do your homework and make an informed decision. Everyone has their own priorities.

Last edited:
No issues at all. All of my dives have been time limited by the DM and I've yet to push the limits on the computer.

DSAT is the 2nd most liberal commercially available decompression algorithm after the Cochran algorithm. Take a look at the tables at the end of any of the Oceanic manuals to compare 1st dive NDLs for DSAT vs PZ+. After Aqua Lung acquired Pelagic Pressure Systems form American Underwater Products.(Oceanic), it appears they were limited to PZ+ and are unable to implement DSAT. Keep in mind that the DSAT work is also the basis for the PADI RDP. Many 1st time computer purchasers are completely unaware of the differences in decompression algorithm and base their purchase on other variables. Do your homework and make an informed decision. Everyone has their own priorities.

Though there are severeal caveats, DSAT is generally similar to Shearwater 45/95, whereas PZ+ is more similar to 40/85.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize dsat was what the padi rdp tables were based off. I'm using padi tables to plan dives currently so that would be a big plus to be able to plan with tables I'm familiar with. Guess I have some more reading to do.

Ok question on the Geo because I haven't been able to find the answer yet. Are the individual algos adjustable for conservatism? Or is it just a matter of "cold and murky =PZ+, warm and clear = DSAT"? I'm starting to wonder if I'm overthinking this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom