Oceanic Spinner Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuma1720

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have purchased this knife to mount on my Probe LX BC.
First the mounting brackets are not much to talk about since they are two small screw, but they seem to do the trick.

The problem with the knife is that it catches/secures with a rubber piece which applies pressure to the knife. Unfortunately it does not secure well enough although I put about 20 dive with the knife this weekend the unfortunate happened. During my last dive it pooped out of the case and fell onto the sea floor. I became aware of its loss after completing the dive.

I am writing this in order to warn others of this unfortunate demise. If anyone has any solutions or remedies please feel free to help post them.

Another situation is it seems that there does not seem to be any other knives will fit the grommets on the Oceanic BC. I have made several inquiries and have not located one that will fit, if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement please advise me.

Thank you.

It may have been a fluke problem with your knife. My buddy and I both have Spinner knives and they've never popped loose during dives from both boat and through surf.

How did you mount them? Facing downward or upwards and have you experienced any issues with the retention rubber clip?

I made the mistake of purchasing another brand of BC knife after purchasing my Excursion. The grommet holes didn't quite line up, allowing me to attatch it with only one screw. I got tired of the knife spinning around and went out and bought the Oceanic that fit properly. I've had no problems with retention, however and I find that the knife is hard to release with thick gloves on.
Thankfully the knife is a back up to my shears which are always easy to get to and work the best for the majority of problems I might encounter.

Unfortunately, that is the problem w/the Oceanic BCD that it is difficult to find an alternate knife that fit the grommets. So you are limited to the knife. I just bought another knife (spinner) at Leisure Pro for a great price and made sure the handle was facing back.
Last time I had her facing away so this may have made it easy for it to fall out. The reason it was mounted in this manner was that it was just easier to access.

And another one ... I'm about going to give up on spinner knives 2 was enough. I knew I bought that folding TI for a good reason.

I have 2 cases left for a probe no damage just a little loctite on the screws you can get really resonable ... lol. Spinner knifes good ... lock on casess bad ...

I found an inexpensive ~ 15$ knife at unrealfind.com that fit the gromets of my excursion BC perfectly. 3" blade 420 SS. I have not dove with this knife yet, so I cant' say I will not lose it. It snaps into the platic sheath with a recessed button latch.

I saw what appears to be the same knife on sale at scubatoys.com in the classifieds of this board for only 5$.

Back
Top Bottom