Oceanic Shadow Mask Fogging Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsong9

Registered
Reaction score
I've got this oceanic shadow mask, I bought 1 year ago, its foggin like crazy, I've read the 3 or 4 threads on the forum about foggin mask, and using somethin like 500psi, sea drop, sea gold, johnson's baby shampoo/water mix, spit(of course). Is the silicon film is very thick, or am I just defogging it the wrong way(spit on dry mask, spread it, let it dry, rinse it in the sea before I go diving). I've only used the colgate, spit and Aquaseal seagold for now. My friend also owns a shadow, his fogs just like mine...simply hate the flood and rinse routine..it irritates me thru out my whole dive, irritates my nose, my eyes...gawd it's getting to my head!. Anyone with help?

Ps: Oh and if there's a way to test/know the thickness of the silicon film left on the mask, I'd like to know, 'cos I'm spending too much free time rubbing toothpaste on my mask till it dries, takes something like20-30mins. cheers! :)

Just checking, but did you did clean the mask with toothpaste or similar before using it? Even if you did you may want to take a paste toothpaste and scrub out the inside of the lenses two or three times. If you do have silicon on the inside (either from the manufacturer or from a loose silicon spray lubricant in your dive bag) it would cause the fogging problem.

Jason

If nothing else buy a new one of another make and use the old one as a spare. I never go without a spare mask because I don't wanna be stuck with whatever may be left on the bottom of some dive centre crate if my primary fails.

I use spit only and I don't prepare my mask till I'm at the site. Then it's water, spit, water and off in a hurry before it dries or warms up too much. If entry is delayed I sometimes put water in it to keep it from drying out topside.

Don't stick it on your forehead because that ol "head grease" will fog you up good. If you get real sweaty gearing up wash and cool your face in salt water - much of it is about differences in temperature.

best of luck

I have one of these masks, probably the only mask I've had in the last 12 years that really fits me well (( have one of those faces).

A good scrub with white toothpaste a couple of times when it was new was all that I needed to get the film off.

Before diving I use spit, rubbed all over the inside of the glass with a finger tip (making sure I get it all over the glass), and then rinse in water (doesn't matter if it's the water I'm going to dive in or some out of a bottle).

Once rinsed I then fill the mask with water until it's time to put it on and jump in. If I let it dry out in the sun then it will fog up.

Hope that helps

Hey thanks all you guys..ok I've tried cleaning it with a non-gel toothpase, never used a gel toothpaste on it before. And problem is..I think when I first bought it I didn't know I had to preclean it, so I think I bought it used it rightaway. Does that matter?
Ok and I'm getting very confused, I've got a good group of ppl telling me to spit it and then letting it dry out, then only rinse, then dive. Dougaldiver and santa have you tried the other methods? Don't mean to be impolite, am really appreciative of both your help. :)

The LDS I use recommends to everyone he sells the Shadow mask to put it in the dishwasher(just take it out before the drying cycle). Do this 15 or 20 times and the fogging problem will go away

You can use spit, 200 Ft Viz, any other commercial defogger, or simply toothpaste as a defogger, but unless you get the layer of silicone off the lens 1st (and you can't see it), you will never prevent it from fogging.

Just take either some toothpaste or Soft Scrub & some paper towels & scrub the tar out of the inside of the lens. Do this 3 or 4 times. Then go diving & use whatever defogger you like.

Here is what I do. Get a product called Goof Off spray or liquid don't matter. Put some on a soft lint free rag wipe the inside of the mask with it, follow with a Joy Dish Soap wash. To make it even better soak the mask in a bucket of Joy soap water for about 30 min. After the mask is dry put some 550 psi in it and store it away until your next use. I can't remember the last time I had a fogging issue. Good Luck! Peace

Not cleaning it the first time may have just compounded your problem. Before you put anymore spit, defog, whatever on it take it and a bottle of soft scrub (not the geneeric stuff but actual soft scrub) and go to it. scrub, rinse, scrub, rinse. Let it dry, then scrub it again a couple times. This should take care of the problem. I too use nothing but spit to defog and it works every time. Wet, spit, rub, QUICK rinse and go.

Back
Top Bottom