Oceanic/ScubaPro/Sub Gear comparison...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My LDS sells these brands, and I'm hoping to get a mid-range reg. I don't plan to do any cold water diving, mostly lake diving and out in the Gulf. The models I'm kind of focused in on are the ScubaPro Mk17/G250V or S555 second stage. The Sub Gear would be either the Bonaire or Cayman, and the Oceanic would be the Delta 4.1 FDX 10 (that one is on sale at another local shop).

Any pros/cons on these regs? I have 0 dives under my belt so far. The bulk of my diving will most likely be Texas lakes and then wrecks and rigs in the Gulf. I'm hoping to work the PADI classes up through Rescue Diver by sometime next spring.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

I can't speak to the other regs as I only have experience with the MK17 G250V combo but I have heard this setup described by several professionals with a lot of experience as being one of the most bullet proof setups you can buy. I know the sealed and balanced diaphragm first stage is great for diving in silty water found in many lakes.

Hi fellow diver.I recently started diving again after an extended SI.3 weeks ago I bought all new gear including the new 2012 Sub Gear Cayman regulator.The Cayman is the EXACT SAME regulator as the Scubapro Mk.17/S600!I know this for a fact as the Scubapro Rep.showed me the repair guide that lists the EXACT same parts kit for both the Mk.17/S600 & the Cayman!The new 2012 Cayman has BOTH the Inhalation Effort Adjustment & Venturi-Initiated Vacuum Assist Adjustment unlike the 2011 & older models.The ONLY difference between the VERY HIGHLY regarded Scubapro Mk.17/S600 & the new 2012 Cayman besides how they look is that the Cayman only has a 30 year Warranty & costs several hundred dollars LESS!
I dove the reg. at Mukilteo T-Dock last week for the first time & it performed flawlessly in the 51 degree water at 122'!You can spend a LOT more money & NOT get a better regulator.Check out these links as well & remember these are the older models,the new 2012 model is even better!Hope this helps...
Gear / Regulators | Scuba Diving Magazine
Regulator SUB-GEAR CAYMAN - Divernet

Last edited:
The G250(V)'s are my preferred second stages, regardless of the vintage: there's no better breather when mated to a good first stage like the MK17 or the MK25.

But then the Subgear line is a great deal for the reasons explained above, except now the top of the line is called SG-1000.

I don't know why they change the name either, but that gives you a great bargaining point for the Cayman. I hope you've got a good deal!:)

it is common to find multiple regulators of a similar design to use the same "annual" parts kit. while performance differences between 2 similar regulator may be fairly small, it is differences in the implementation of these similar designs that cause these differences. in scubapro implementation of the balanced barrel poppet design. common differences include the metal vs the plastic orifice effecting the cracking pressure and the metal vs composite barrel which effects comfort [dry mouth] and cold water reliability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom