Oceanic Pro Plus 2 vs. Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k9cop92

Registered
Reaction score
I've read several posts on these two computers, so please dont bump me as I am looking for some more up to date information and opinions on these two products. I am new to diving and looking into purchasing an air integrated computer. I have found some good deals on the Pro Plus 2, several of the original Cobras and potentially a Cobra 3. I am on the fence between them! All the deals I have found are in the same price range with the same physical features including compass, and quick release. Cosmetically, the Cobras appear to be in a better aesthetic condition than the Pro Plus. They all have around the same ammount of dive usage. I personally like the looks of the Cobra moreso than the Pro Plus, but I do like the larger readout on the Pro Plus. From the posts I have read, the Cobras seem to be way more conservative than the Pro Plus, but all my time so far has been in pools and I havent had to worry about that. I will eventually be using the download capabilities of these computers to track my dives. I am a gadget guy and like my electronic toys, but I also want some simplicity using my computer... rather than trying to beam up scotty while Im diving! Any advice, opinions, gripes, complaints, comments on these devices will be greatly appreciated in the assistance of helping to make my decision in getting the bang for my buck!

pool diving is pretty much the only situation where the overly conservative Sunnto won't be highly annoying!

The more I read about the Cobras, the more I'm understanding about their conservative nature. I read a couple of posts saying that when diving air to set the Cobras to 21% nitrox and it will make the logarithms alot less conservative. The cool factor is drawing me to the Cobra, but my intuition is telling me that the Oceanic Pro Plus is the way to go.

I have both the Proplus 2, a Cobra 2 and Cobra 3. The Proplus has a HUGE display that is easy to see at a glance. The algorithm used by the Proplus is more liberal vs. the Cobra - there are lots of threads on the pros/cons of the algorithms so that is a personal choice. Normally if I'm on a mult-dive trip, I have more than one computer on at the same time - and often a mixture of the two algorithms - I use the Oceanic datamask and a Cobra 3 primarly. There have been some days when I'm cussing out the Cobra for limiting my dive - or just running the Cobra into deco and riding out that obligation while the Oceanic gives me more time anyway.
Of course, diving more conservatively isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just a matter of preference.
My Proplus is now used primarly used by my daughter and I love being able to swim up a look over her shoulder and see her status with a quick glance. I also have a divemaster friend who uses the Proplus and I like the same thing with him - the size of the display.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but read the manual, and then read the manual of A cochran gemini and see what features you like.

The cochran logging simply cannot be beat... I mean, it CANNOT be beat. Cochran data points are not every 10s etc like the others its spot on technically one of the most capable dive computers in existence. If you email you dive log to cochran they can tell you how high the swells were on your last dive...

but I'm a cochran fan boy

Back
Top Bottom