Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike151

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm very new to diving and had a bit of a difficult time arriving at a dive computer. I actually placed my order for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 today. My main reason for picking this dive computer was the very large number display. I have difficulty seeing the small computers. I also wanted one that wasn't wireless. Just didn't want to deal with any pairing incidents as I am a freshly certified open water diver.
Does anyone have any experience with the computer that I just purchased. I would very much appreciate any feedback/comments good or bad so I will know what to expect.
I purchased it with the quick release, compass, and a display protector to reduce risk of scratching the display.
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/computers/pro-plus-2-2/
Thoughts?

I love mine but as I have been told, the quick connect is a place water can enter the computer. Be very careful to dry everything before you disconnect it. I just don't disconnect mine any longer.

Excellent choice.
I love mine. Great display. Audible alarms. Nitrox compatible. Gauge mode. Nice reports when downloaded to computer.

Never did hear that about the QD. As a matter of fact there was a thread a while back about someone dropping unconnected and retrieved from 20 ft as not an issue.

I heard that ANY moisture in the quick disconnect can get shot into the computer when connected and the put under pressure. It cost me $200 to replace mine after it died, no one said officially how it died. I agree, using Macdive makes for a really nice dive log page!

It is a great computer and allows you to tailor the settings to a more conservative setting. The cons are that the manual is not great, and the download cable is a terrible design and expensive. We have Mac Dive software now and like it much better than Oceanic's software.

Thanks for all of your input. Wish I would have known about potential issues with the quick disconnect. You think that when I receive it, I can easily have my dive shop install it on my stage1 without the quick disconnect? I think I'll just leave it all connected at all times.
My thoughts were that I would remove it and put it in a protective case when not in use but I can just include it in my regulator case.
Or, I can take suggestions and just be careful that everything is dry when putting it on the QD.

Also, since we have some owners of this product here, what type of battery life do you get out of this unit?

...... My main reason for picking this dive computer was the very large number display. I have difficulty seeing the small computers. .....
Same here. The PP2 numbers are huge!

...... I would very much appreciate any feedback/comments good or bad so I will know what to expect....
If you register your PP2 with Oceanic they will send You a free code for the PP2 online class .... just make sure you learn how to use it.
idc_iphone_oceanic_pp2_w250.png

...... I have been told, the quick connect is a place water can enter the computer. .....
Where did you hear that?
The high pressure sensor of the PP2 (and of any AI dive computer) is quite WELL isolated from the rest of the dive computer.
Can you imagine what would happen if air at 3000 psi enters the dive computer? Booooom!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I use MacDive. You can check to see if your computer is supported by it. MacDive works great for me. Here is a link to the website. I think I paid $25.00 for it but it is worth every penny IMO.

MacDive

Can you download to a Mac?

PC's are just too much trouble to me :(

-m

Bought a Pro 3 today. The manual is of little help and the online class doesn't seem to exist yet, so i spent 3 hrs just diddling with it and have it 95% learned.
No, it wasn't easy either. There are lots of abbreviations that I couldn't figure out their meaning, making it tough.
I am not afraid of the QD, that is until something goes wrong ( I hope not). I do like that feature. I will eventually purchase the expen$ive USB cable, but no rush.

Thanks for the info. Will use the beast on Friday of this week.

-m

Back
Top Bottom