Oceanic Price Fixing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting read. Unfortunately, it is a perfect example of how different jurisdictions view subject differently.

I know nothing about Australia consumer protections and Australia law and legal proceedings. It appears that the issue related here is the advertised price of the goods.

In the United States, the courts have thusfar ruled that minimum advertised price policies are not retail price restrictions and manufacturers are fully allowed to establish rules that govern how their products may be advertised, including the lowest price at which then can be offered in advertising. Oceanic has such an advertising policy in the United States. They do not, however, dictate the price at which items may be sold at the cash register.

There are two manufacturers that continue to insist on limiting product discounting AT THE CASH REGISTER. This is an intrusion that, in my opinion, might violate the law. This is one of those situations that will remain unsolved until someone mounts a legal challenge to the policy through the U.S. courts.

To close, I would like to again reinforce that I no of NO attempt by Oceanic to regulate retail prices. They do have the advertising policy and it is, at this moment, legal.

Edit: I was brought to my attention ( I knew this, but paid little attention) that Oceanic does have a few products where they insist that they be sold for an amount above a minimum price. I still continue to believe that Oceanic is among the LEAST restrictive in the industry.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Last edited:
My experience with Oceanic/Aeris over the years has been good.

I'm not sure how manufactures enforce price fixing, but IMO it should be illegal. Retailers should be allowed to compete in an open market which is what the US is based on.

In any event, it seems to be a good way for LDS's to justify price gouging, but IMO not a great business model.

Good luck with the purchases.

My experience with Oceanic an Aeris has been excellent. Oceanic has always delivered excellent products at reasonable cost with amazing customer service (who else would have arranged for a box of regulator parts to be waiting at the Port Agent in Tromso, Norway on the basis of nothing more than a fax?).

I will not, however, buy ScubaPro or US Divers products because of what I feel are their price fixing policies.

.........In any event, it seems to be a good way for LDS's to justify price gouging, but IMO not a great business model. ......

I often hear the "price gouging" claim levied against various dive stores. I would be interested to know your personal definition of that, in regards to a local dive store. Is it simply refusal to discount? Is if failure to price match an internet offer? Is it the practice of selling only at Suggested Retail Price?

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom