Oceanic Price Fixing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tehgargoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am confused. my LDS just told me that they can't go below a certain price because Oceanic price fixes and threatens to pull their license of they don't comply.

So how come every shop online sells below their quoted price for what Oceanic forces them to sell for.. are they lying to my face, or does Oceanic really do this and the online retailers are getting around it somehow?

I am confused. my LDS just told me that they can't go below a certain price because Oceanic price fixes and threatens to pull their license of they don't comply.

So how come every shop online sells below their quoted price for what Oceanic forces them to sell for.. are they lying to my face, or does Oceanic really do this and the online retailers are getting around it somehow?

Oceanic, like most scuba companies, has a Minimum Advertised Price policy for their products. While we will not debate the merits of those types of programs in this thread, this policy applied ONLY to the ADVERTISED price of the product. With a very few exceptions, Oceanic says nothing about the actual price a dealer may charge when you get to the cash register.

I would suggest that you show your retailer the online prices you have found. Any dealer should be happy to accept the margin provided by the MAP price, certainly when compared to the prospect of losing the sale completely.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Welcome to the world of double speak! :D

The dealer can sell you the gear for what they want. They can SAY they can not, but it's not true. Phil did a good job of explaining MAP, but that does not bind the dealer or force them into charging a minimum amount.

Realize that some LDS's will NOT haggle. They just don't do it. They sell overpriced gear to newbies who don't know any better, and that is their choice. At least my LDS is professional enough to be up front about that policy, and their training/instructors are very good.

Yes.... They are Lying to your face.

this policy applied ONLY to the ADVERTISED price of the product. With a very few exceptions, Oceanic says nothing about the actual price a dealer may charge when you get to the cash register.

Yes.... They are Lying to your face.

They may be lying or just don't understand the MAP policy themselves. That said, a $1,200 difference between an online retailer and your shop?!? I think you need to shop around in any event.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 1200 was the difference for two sets.. here is what i could find online:

www . dolphinscuba . com/Oceanic_FDX10_Air_XS_Excursion_BC_Veo_180_p/pkg_fdx10 .axs.excursion.v180.htm

www . dolphinscuba . com/Oceanic_FDX10_Air_XS_Hera_BC_Veo_180_p/pkg_fdx10.axs.hera.v180.htm

and they were quoting me pretty much exactly MSRP stated on those links haha

sorry i had to mask the links, i havent posted 5 posts yet :) hope the mods forgive me :wink:

I'm betting that Phil can meet or beat those prices.... and he was the first one to reply to your thread helping you with their price policy...

I'd give him a call and see what he can do for you. :D

I'm betting he could save you some $$$.

-Mike

EDIT: I don't think that Oceanic even makes the Veo180 anymore..... I think it's been replaced by something else. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

so the package your LDS has and Dolphin has might be "closeouts". just FYI.

I think that the Delta 4 FDX10 is now called (or has been replaced with ) the Delta 4.1 also. I think the FDX-10 just denotes what type first stage it has. (again someone correct me if I'm wrong).

ya they replaced the 180 and they downgraded the 4 to 4.1 (all they did was remove the swivel because of a patent issue) they should have called it a 3.9 :)

Back
Top Bottom