Oceanic Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the explanation. That knocks Oceanic down in my book quite a bit. Perhaps their regulators are somehow more dangerous than those from other manufacturers which motivated this change in their policy.:shakehead:

I'm sure you realize that is a plain untrue statement... I'm not sure what the goal of stating it was. Perhaps instead, a note here to oceanic, and or an email to them saying that it would be a positive influence for future purchases if they would allow the sales of their parts... might go farther than saying their present policy, that they are presently reviewing, is proof their regulators are dangerous.

I'm sure you realize that is a plain untrue statement...

Well since they will not explain why they do this we are left to speculate. I can not think of a reason that suggests they are not trying to stick it to their customers. Maybe they will respond, I hope there is a better explanation. In the mean time I will not buy any of their products and recommend that no one else does either. To be fair they are not the worst of the lot, but I would hope they are shooting for a more sterling recommendation than that.

Well since they will not explain why they do this we are left to speculate. I can not think of a reason that suggests they are not trying to stick it to their customers. Maybe they will respond, I hope there is a better explanation. In the mean time I will not buy any of their products and recommend that no one else does either. To be fair they are not the worst of the lot, but I would hope they are shooting for a more sterling recommendation than that.

Presently I'd say over half the manufactures have this policy... so it's not something that is making them much different than bunches of others. A company like Zeagle that does allow us to sell parts is the exception.. and they went back and forth on this several times.

So I'd say some positive comments to companies from consumers could go a long way in changing their policies... But I really don't think anyone speculates their regulators are dangerous because they have the same parts policy as virtually every major brand.

On similar topic, I don't understand how they can legally have this policy, what other industry in the world is the end user unable to buy components for installation. any Joe or jack can go to any dealership to buy Brake pads or air bags.

Now I can understand the warranty aspect for Apeks/Aqualung/Scubapro , Free parts if service regularly and documented by an authorized dealer, but once it's out of warranty who cares ? 9 times out of ten the LDS still does the service, the MFG gets the parts sale, and the customer is able to get his equipment serviced when he wants/trusts, not where the parts are available.

I understand that regulator are specialized equipment and life support equipment, but if I screw up my regs the only possible victim is myself, though unlikely if proper safety protocol is observed and the gear is tested in the pool before it is used in open water.

On the other hand if Billy Bob screws up his brakes he could not only take himself out but countless others as well.

so the whole parts issue smells a little like collusion...

Sorry to hear Oceanic is going in the wrong direction. This is plain and simple a protection racket by the maunufs. The liability issue is a smoke screen. If it's not then there has to be examples of law suits where judgments have been won. Can anyone direct me to an example of a case in any industry where there was a successful suit for injury based on simply selling good quality parts. The real liability is the "training" of a tank monkey who is then authorized to install the parts and they do something wrong. Both the shop and the training agency are in the crosshairs. It's a pitty we have to do back room deals and black market trades to get parts.

The liability issue is a smoke screen. If it's not then there has to be examples of law suits where judgments have been won. Can anyone direct me to an example of a case in any industry where there was a successful suit for injury based on simply selling good quality parts.

Sure.. here you go Suit: it’s the manufacturer’s fault that I backed a lawn mower over my son

Many links on that site for others... And please keep in mind, if you own a company, it's not how many suits or judgments won or lost - it's how many you have to defend... as there is cost associated with winning or losing.

On similar topic, I don't understand how they can legally have this policy, what other industry in the world is the end user unable to buy components for installation. any Joe or jack can go to any dealership to buy Brake pads or air bags.

Now I can understand the warranty aspect for Apeks/Aqualung/Scubapro , Free parts if service regularly and documented by an authorized dealer, but once it's out of warranty who cares ? 9 times out of ten the LDS still does the service, the MFG gets the parts sale, and the customer is able to get his equipment serviced when he wants/trusts, not where the parts are available.

I understand that regulator are specialized equipment and life support equipment, but if I screw up my regs the only possible victim is myself, though unlikely if proper safety protocol is observed and the gear is tested in the pool before it is used in open water.

On the other hand if Billy Bob screws up his brakes he could not only take himself out but countless others as well.

so the whole parts issue smells a little like collusion...

A company can legally have this policy because there is no law requiring any manufacturer to make any parts available to anyone anymore than there is a law that says you have to sell brownies to anyone that asks you to.

As far as restrictions on buying parts, there are many industries that restrict part sales. Try to get a left hand safety for a shotgun.

The parts aren't the issue, its the expertise to install and test them is the manufacturer's concern.

In a world where people aren't as mechanically savy as they used to be, its a valid concern.

What is stopping dealers from setting up a aftermarket parts industry.
Just like the Automobile aftermarket sell parts that are guaranteed of equal of higher quality.
O-rings are easy to source and repackage all it would take is a tech to check each oring for size and material type. Springs can also be ordered to spec. There really isn't anything the manufacturer can do to stop such a practice and as in the auto industry they would be required to prove that the aftermarket component was at fault before being able to void warranties. This in effect would force them to be moderate with their parts pricing structure or loose the sales to the aftermarket.

What is stopping dealers from setting up a aftermarket parts industry.
Just like the Automobile aftermarket sell parts...

Supply and demand... I would say the number of people that would ever want to work on their own regulator is less than 1 in 500 based on our customers. And then with so many different brands - in what year did this seat change from this to that... etc.. the cost would be outrageous for the very, very small number you could ever sell.

O rings are not a problem... go anywhere and get some o-rings if you want... but when it comes to a manufactures seat for a particular reg - the tooling costs to produce these for the very small number that would ever get sold, and then carry liability insurance for them, this would make this a no win situation.

Really... everyone can just relax a bit - I'm in discussions with some manufactures again, and really think we will have the ability to sell parts again soon for many of the major brands - without worrying about "is that the right o-ring? is that the proper durometer? What size is that supposed to be???" etc...

Just give it a few days and give us a call if you are one of the very, very few that would like to purchase parts.

Sure.. here you go Suit: it’s the manufacturer’s fault that I backed a lawn mower over my son

Many links on that site for others... And please keep in mind, if you own a company, it's not how many suits or judgments won or lost - it's how many you have to defend... as there is cost associated with winning or losing.

Not close, a case of not reading directions and has nothing to do with repair parts. It does show anyone can be sued for anything, something we need fixed but still, has no bearing on parts sales.

Supply and demand... I would say the number of people that would ever want to work on their own regulator is less than 1 in 500 based on our customers. And then with so many different brands - in what year did this seat change from this to that... etc.. the cost would be outrageous for the very, very small number you could ever sell.

O rings are not a problem... go anywhere and get some o-rings if you want... but when it comes to a manufactures seat for a particular reg - the tooling costs to produce these for the very small number that would ever get sold, and then carry liability insurance for them, this would make this a no win situation.

Really... everyone can just relax a bit - I'm in discussions with some manufactures again, and really think we will have the ability to sell parts again soon for many of the major brands - without worrying about "is that the right o-ring? is that the proper durometer? What size is that supposed to be???" etc...

Just give it a few days and give us a call if you are one of the very, very few that would like to purchase parts.

Great and we do thank you for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom