Oceanic Octo advice: Alpha 8 or Swivel 180??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Bob. I bought the Swivel 180 and have tested it in the pool. I like the swivel feature as well and for the money it seems to fit my needs (hope I don't have occasion to really NEED it).

It seems to breathe a little wet. Does anyone else notice that?

I splurged on the Atomic B2 so there is a big difference when I switch to the Swivel 180.

On the Wisconsin scuba board a swivel recall was posted. Also the Oceanic's swivel has failed for two divers I know. The small screw comes out. I took mine off. One less thing to go wrong.

On the Wisconsin scuba board a swivel recall was posted. Also the Oceanic's swivel has failed for two diver I know. The small screw comes out. I took mine off. One less thing to go wrong.

The swivel recall involves an add-on ball swivel - the Swivel Octo is a completely different design. I am not aware of a single Oceanic swivel failure (not to say it hasn't happened - however, I would be very surprised that such a failure would not be brought to our attention). Hinzer, if you have details - I'd ask that you ensure that our service department is contacted.

On the Wisconsin scuba board a swivel recall was posted. Also the Oceanic's swivel has failed for two diver I know. The small screw comes out. I took mine off. One less thing to go wrong.
Do you have a link to the recall? There is nothing on Oceanic WW or Scuba.com's recalls which refers to Oceanic swivels being recalled. I have never had a single issue with my swivel 180 octo, and my dad has the same thing, no problems. As for "small" screw, I'm not sure what you are referring to, since there is a large screw which is an integral part of the "swiveling" mechanism, and it's head is roughly 1/2- 3/4" across.

For those looking at the swivel 180, I'd also look at the Swiv Octo with magnetic keeper. Pretty much an swivel 180 but with a magnet in the octo and a magnetic keeper. Kinda cool looking.

Oceanic Swiv Octo with Magnetic Keeper , Octos, Oceanic, Oceanic Swiv Octo with Magnetic Keeper

My son and I both have the swivel octos and after a couple of dozen dives both began hissing/bubbling. Seem to be okay now, but it was a bit annoying. I used one extensively on a dive, just to see how it was. Like others have said, a bit wet, but fine. I really like the swivel feature and flat profile.

I guess the new one has some sort of magnetic hook on it....don't know how well that works.

Remove the swivel. There is a recall out for one brand ref. wiscsuba .com and Oceanic brand has failed with a diver I know. Screw comes out. I took mine off . Your life.

Remove the swivel. There is a recall out for one brand ref. wiscsuba .com and Oceanic brand has failed with a diver I know. Screw comes out. I took mine off . Your life.
Where is the recall? My dad and I each own a swivel 180, can I'd like to see the recall notice. Please provide a link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom