Oceanic Octo advice: Alpha 8 or Swivel 180??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edwardo and laser,

The 180 worked great. I dropped down to about 30' (we were in the springs) and switched over to the octo for a few min. Its comfortable and flow is fine. My dive buddy that day was diving with his octo hanging from a necklace and i really liked it accessibility wise. I think I'm going to do the same.

Anyway Oceanic 180 swivel Octo...(A+)

Thanks Scuba-Jay. I received mine and have it ready to go. I'll have to test it in the pool before I have a chance to get out in the ocean.

Appreciate the follow-up. It does seem to be a great design.

I have two oceanic swivel octos (one I just bought). They do breathe a little wet but the big advantage is you can put them in upside down and still have no problems breathing with them.
The adjustment on these will require a tool not common to your average scuba tool - You will need a nut driver to go in through the mouthpiece. I would suggest carrying one along if you are going on a trip. Mine started to hiss a little - not a huge freeflow but I wouldnt have wanted to make much of a dive with it. It required a small adjustment to stop the free flow hiss - but I didnt have the tool on the boat. Fortunately was able to borrow one from maintenance at the resort.
I am not endorsing working on your own gear if you are not trained to do so, just suggesting that even if you are trained, this is not a typical tool you would be carrying.
It seems to be common on this octo that it may need an adjustment after several dives. Once this adjustment has been made it should be good to go.

adjuster-jd:
I have two oceanic swivel octos (one I just bought). They do breathe a little wet but the big advantage is you can put them in upside down and still have no problems breathing with them.
The adjustment on these will require a tool not common to your average scuba tool - You will need a nut driver to go in through the mouthpiece. I would suggest carrying one along if you are going on a trip. Mine started to hiss a little - not a huge freeflow but I wouldnt have wanted to make much of a dive with it. It required a small adjustment to stop the free flow hiss - but I didnt have the tool on the boat. Fortunately was able to borrow one from maintenance at the resort.
I am not endorsing working on your own gear if you are not trained to do so, just suggesting that even if you are trained, this is not a typical tool you would be carrying.
It seems to be common on this octo that it may need an adjustment after several dives. Once this adjustment has been made it should be good to go.
I will for sure carry a nutdriver with me to Roatan. Do you know the size off the top of your head??

I just grabbed a nut driver from my computer tool set and it says 1/4 inch and seems to fit exactly.

One other thing, I am told that it is best to turn off the air and slightly depress the purge button before adjusting this nut otherwise damage to the seat can occur.
Again I do not endorse working on your own gear if you are not trained (I have taken the Oceanic repair course but I am still not comfortable doing much more than a small adjustment on my own).

Thanks Adjuster-jd. This is very informative.

Thanks for the info. I looked and saw the nut. Should not be a problem. Granted I would not tear into the reg without being trained,but little adjustments like this is no biggie. I'm used to working on Medical lasers for my real job.

Another happy user of the Swivel 180 here. I haven't had to adjust mine, but have only made a few dozen dives on it.

I had been using mine for over a year before having it start to leak - inconveniently when I was on a dive boat. Small adjustment on that nut and all was well.
It wasnt just a matter of tightening, it required a bit of tweaking to get it just right but I've not had a problem since then and it's been two years since that.

The Swivel works very well. From the factory its really detuned. It breathes fairly well. Remember a Oct design reg is detuned to avoid free flows. Its not going to be as easy as a breather as a full size 2nd like the Alpha 8 / sport used as a Oct.

I like like left hand Oct's. That is why I went with the Swivel when I purchased my new FDX10 / DELTA 4. It also lays better for streamlining.

For those who think "TECH" and worry about the swivel as a spot were things can happen. In 30 plus years I had one (1) restrictor spool go out. If you do not know what that is it like hitting the lottery.

Back
Top Bottom