Oceanic OCS vs Suunto D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy a dive computer.
Can you please share your experiences and/or knowledge you have about the two above computers.

Which one you think is better ?

Just to let you know, I would like to have air integration but is not a must for me. Also, two things that worrying me. 1) Since both are watched sized computers, how easily you can read the display underwater, and 2) the conservatism - I prefer something safe but also not something that might ruin my diving experience if I want to do multiple dives on the same day.
Finally, I am not sure if I will ever need to use more than 1 gases and I also quite like the layout of the display better on the Suunto.

Thanks in advance.

Socc

Thanks for that but I still have some specific questions that I would like people to answer so I can get a good idea of which I should choose.

Just read your specific questions and they seem kind of wishy washy to me.

I mean, you want ai but not required. You want conservative, until you dive a lot and then dont want it to bother you. And btw I like suunto...

Where are the specific questions?

Hello Barrod.

I am just writing my thoughts so people can help me decide. If I knew what I wanted I would have choose already by my own with out asking for others people experiences with these two specific computers.
The specific questions are:
1) Since both are watched sized computers, how easily you can read the display underwater ?, and
2) the conservatism - which one would you prefer to use on multiple dives from your experience ?

I do not understand what's was wrong with my questions really. If you do not want to reply then do not do it, but some people here want to help. On wb2glp above I said thank you for his post but I need something more specific. That's all.

Socc

Depending on your eye sight you can read both of themunderwater, I would go with the suunto after all oceanic copied the suuntoline. Second I think they discounted the OCS because it not on their websiteright now and it does not look like you can get the software updates either soif computer doesn’t have the current update you’ll need to send it back rightaway for a update to fix bugs in the code. PS air integration is cool.

Seems like people are avoiding answering your question. The Oceanic DSAT decompression algorithm and the Suunto RGBM algorithm are at nearly polar opposite ends of the liberal-conservative spectrum. I have been diving the DSAT algorithm since 2001 and could not switch to the more conservative algorithm. It's a personal decision, to each their own. There are many Suunto fans, perhaps one or more will speak up.

A couple things to note.

1) The DSAT algorithm is very liberal until you hit deco, and then it starts getting crazy conservative. It also has a "Pelagic Z+" algorithm option based on the Buhlman ZH16L-C that is more conservative before NDL and then more liberal after.
2) Suunto fans use a relatively outdated algorithm. I, personally, am not a fan of the algorithm they use. It penalizes for a lot of weird stuff it simply shouldn't be....not only adding conservatism but adding it awkwardly.

Hello @victorzamora, @NCadiver and @scubadada.

Thank you very much all of you for the replies. I decided to go with the D4i since I like the AI and the Suuntos inteface. And I also found an offer that gives the transmitter free with the dive computer !

Thanks again.

Socc

Last edited:
A couple things to note.

1) The DSAT algorithm is very liberal until you hit deco, and then it starts getting crazy conservative. It also has a "Pelagic Z+" algorithm option based on the Buhlman ZH16L-C that is more conservative before NDL and then more liberal after.
2) Suunto fans use a relatively outdated algorithm. I, personally, am not a fan of the algorithm they use. It penalizes for a lot of weird stuff it simply shouldn't be....not only adding conservatism but adding it awkwardly.

Hi Victor,

Could you please elaborate on the behavior of the DSAT algorithm after going into decompression and the source of the information? Thanks in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom