Oceanic OCi Vs Scubapro Mantis 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myatix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a new dive computer and have been looking at the Oceanic OCI and Scubapro Mantis 2.

The Oceanic OCI is quite old now but I an not a fan of the new OLED screens as they glare in the sun so much. My biggest concern would be using these computers with 5mm gloves? Has anyone got any experience with these computers or perhaps you can recommend something else that isn't too bulky!

I have been looking at the Oceanic Pro Plus X as well, it isn't wireless but looks like a nice dive computer. Any thoughts and experience here would be very appreciated.

Thanks! :)

I'd forget about these two computers and get either the Shearwater Perdix AI or one of the Ratio Computers wrist or watch computers:

Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

For the prices, technology, features, etc., you can't justify getting the Oceanic OCI or the Mantis at all. Not even a remote consideration when compared with any of the Ratio computers or the Perdix AI.

Thanks for the reply guys! :) I'm not sure I would ever use all the features of a Tec dive computer such as the OSTC, I don't do decompression diving and only use Nitrox.

I probably should have said in the original post that I am a recreational diver and tend to dive mostly in warm water but also dive at home. Do you not think it is a bit overkill to have such an advanced computer for recreational diving?

As I said originally I was looking for something reasonably small.

Another option could be the Hollis TX1 but again I think it is expensive and perhaps to advanced for my needs.

Really appreciate the input! :)

Thanks for the reply guys! :) I'm not sure I would ever use all the features of a Tec dive computer such as the OSTC, I don't do decompression diving and only use Nitrox.

I probably should have said in the original post that I am a recreational diver and tend to dive mostly in warm water but also dive at home. Do you not think it is a bit overkill to have such an advanced computer for recreational diving?

Another option could be the Hollis TX1 but again I think it is expensive and perhaps to advanced for my needs.

I got a Mares Smart which I was very happy with on my recent warm water trip. I haven't used it with gloves yet, but you don't really need to push any buttons once you're on your dive. Maybe to get into 'dive' mode at the surface but that's not strictly necessary anyway as it automatically goes into dive mode once submerged for several secs. Display is clear and it's watch sized, so good for wearing as a watch throughout your holiday.
Reasonably priced too.

The Oci computer and the mantis are advanced recreational/technical wanna be that costs almost the same as more advanced higher quality more versatile recreational/technical computers (Perdix AI and the various options from Ratio). The Perdix and Ratio are not just for technical diving, they actually offer you various options and modes from mid-range recreational to advanced trimix technical diving. If the OCi and the mantis prices were considerable lower than the options from Shearwater and Ratio, then there would have been an argument to buy them but this isn't true. The Oci and mantis 2 prices AFAIK, are close to the Shearwater and Ratio computers, so why buy computers that are very close in price but are way behind in features and functionality?

BTW, with both the Perdix and the Ratio, you don't have to buy the transmitter right away if you don't want it at the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom