Oceanic NEO CDX-5 DVT vs Sherwood 2011 Magnum for 1sr regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GEORGEP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm considering the two mentioned and am hearing different things from different people up here... The Oceanic has balanced 1st & 2nd stages while the Sherwood has a balanced 1st only but is "bullet proof". I'm careful with everything I own and am now sure which would be better. the price is pretty much the same for them both... suggestions anyone??

Oceanic Delta 4 with the FDX 10 first stage. The delta 4 has a swivel that cuts down on jaw fatique by moving with you. The FDX 10 has the dry valve technology. I love this reg and I gave up other things so that I could get it.

The Neo has the dry valve, but I'm not sure about the swivel...it is a good point for sure. I thought the swivel would almost be a given...

Paired with the compact CDX-5 Over-Balanced Diaphragm First Stage featuring DVT (Dry Valve Technology)

Hi All,

I'm considering the two mentioned and am hearing different things from different people up here... The Oceanic has balanced 1st & 2nd stages while the Sherwood has a balanced 1st only but is "bullet proof". I'm careful with everything I own and am now sure which would be better. the price is pretty much the same for them both... suggestions anyone??

George,
The 2011 Sherwood Magnum may or may not be "bullet proof", since it is a newer right angle design that has very short track record. Only time will tell. It is unfortunate and confusing (perhaps by design) that Sherwood has chosen to reuse the Magnum name. The previous Magnum was, indeed, bulletproof.

FYI, My husband uses the Neo and he's ok with it. He also has the CDX first stage that has DVT and that's ok for him too. The Neo does not have the swivel. I think it depends on how much you dive how important it would be. I usually log about 5-6 tanks a week so for me it's important since I'm always out. My husband is lucky to log a couple a month so he's less bothered by it. What I have found is that the standard reg without the swivel can "pull" on your jaw in a current or surge whereas the Delta 4 hose being able to swivel does this less. Also when you are under there you are looking around. You don't want your reg to pull when you turn your head. I have experienced this also. If you are biting the mouthpiece to keep it in your mouth you will get jaw fatigue.

It may be worth asking your local shop if they can order you a delta 4 at a reduced price because they just introduced the 4.2 and that means they are clearing out the old to make way for the new. I have all Oceanic stuff and I love everything I have. I gave up the air xs 2 so I could have the better reg and I've never regretted it.

HTH
Michelle

Go Oceanic. I was sorry when I went Sherwood and had all sorts of problems with their technical service and now I have a 1 year old $600 paperweight. It was a new product also, like there Magnum now.

i did put a miflex hose on mine and any jaw fatigue issues went away!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom