Review Oceanic iPhone Dive Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since always. The computational pipeline sits below the user-facing camera app functionality.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Structurally, of course they're not guaranteed to be the same (that's why I chose the phrase "has access to"). You have to assume that the Oceanic engineers aren't idiots, which is a bet I'll gladly take.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Clearly, you have not actually used their app.

See if you can formulate a post without animated emojis. A big ask, I know.

By now, it’s probably in the thousands. Apple’s computational photography tech is light years ahead of any dedicated underwater camera manufacturer.
I can confirm it's thousands now. It's 500 engineers alone just to hand sand the lenses all day with iSandpaper for the extra iCrispness of the pictures. Nobody else does that.

Here's some interesting background on machine learning in Apple's imaging pipeline. For those who need animated emojis, other sources may be better suited.

Here's some interesting background on machine learning in Apple's imaging pipeline. For those who need animated emojis, other sources may be better suited.

Been a lot of problems over the years (and now) with processing that is trained on land photography but then used underwater. Facial recognition is a real problem on fish....not to mention color balance u/w and some focussing and contrast tricks. Machine learning requires learning in the environment in which it will be used.
Apple is not noted for underwater expertise, and Oceanic is not noted for software. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Been a lot of problems over the years…

I have distinguished between conventional & underwater photography e.g.:
That’s not to say that the photos must be light years ahead, given that underwater photography is different from conventional photography. But Apple’s computational photography tech is light years ahead of anything in dedicated action/underwater cameras.

Advanced computational photography features are not always optimal for terrestrial photos either. There have been times when I switch to RAW mode (not "ProRAW") to circumvent Apple's "secret sauce." I would say that image segmentation for control of dynamic range is the most consistently useful. My original point was a response to the statement: "No matter what you do, a cell phone in a case is a cell phone in a case." That's a big oversimplification. A lot of advanced tech and hardware compute power comes along with that cell phone. That tech is getting better all the time. And now that Apple has entered the dive biz, I would expect new effort in that area.

Apple Watch Ultra diving features.
Yep, they make a waterproof watch, with a depth gauge and temperature sensor.
But Oceanic provides the app.
How is this related to underwater camera expertise?

Yep, they make a waterproof watch, with a depth gauge and temperature sensor.
But Oceanic provides the app.
How is this related to underwater camera expertise?

Apple is in the dive biz. So is Rolex. And Casio. Oh, and Dodge, too. I took my truck key diving once.

Back
Top Bottom