Oceanic DM Pro Plus Losing Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OKI_GI

Reaction score
I'm on my second Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus computer--first one had catastrophic failure during a dive after 35 dives on it. Prior to the failure, it had not kept accurate time--it gained minutes each week. The replacement computer now is doing the same thing after 45 dives. Oceanic's reponse the first time was "so????? what is a few seconds/minutes....it doesn't make any real difference." The issue I have is accuracy and dependability plus the log data can't be trusted. Moreover, my $20 Casio works perfectly, never gaining or losing more than a second a week, why can't an expensive dive computer?????

To make a long story short:
- anyone out there with the same problems?
- do other computers keep inaccurate time (gain and/or lose minutes per week)?

I'll have to check my Cobra and see. The Mrs. is asleep right now, so I better not wake her fumbling in the closet. :) But I agree with you. There is absolutely no reason why a "percision" instrument like a big $$ dive computer can't keep accurate time. And I'll be very disappointed if my Cobra doesn't. Who cares wether or not it's "critical", the fact is if it has shortcomings here then I wander where else it may have shortcomings.

Oki-GI,

First let me welcome you to the board and where are you from?

Second, lets stop and think about this, "the clock doesn't work properly". This is the same clock that times your ascent, your bottom time, your deco stop, your surface interval, your time to fly, etc. get the picture.

The clock chip is the most important part of a dive computer, if this isn't working properly, what is? Only the depth gauge. And you can get one of those for a lot less money.

IMHO, I would take it back and exchange it for andother brand if this is Oceanic's view on the matter.

ID

I checked my Aladin when I used it on Sunday. I've had it about a year and it's still within a minute of my $19.95 watch.

I would definitely get that replaced or change brands.

Tom

My DMPP is over a year old and is spot on for the time set. Did you talk to customer service personnel personally or did the dive shop contact them for you? From my past experience with Oceanic this is not their normal attitude!

If you haven't altready, I'd contact them again myself, and talk to a repair technician. When I had trouble with my Data Trans Pro Plus, Oceanic bent over backwords to correct the problem.

The dive shop isn't in the equation. In fact, I got the response directly from Oceanic by email when I asked about time accuracy on the first computer. The dive shop here in Okinawa replaced the first unit no questions asked--after the catastrophic failure. In fact they were willing to dive me a new one after the time error was discovered, but I delayed just "one more dive." They are willing to give me a new one again, and I will take them up on it, but now I am intrigued and gonna chase this rat down the hole publicly.

Oki-Gi

After reading your post I grabbed my DMPP out of my gear bag. The time was correct (thankfully). However, when did you purchace your DMPP? I purchaced mine in January of this year. After 16 dives so far all is working well. Is it possible you recieved an older unit? For refrence my unit serial number is 11696.

Think safe, act safe, be safe.

VegasDiver

Got the first one DEC 99; current one around MAY 00. Current one's date of manufacture is 10/99; SN 04234.

At any rate, I'm giving up on the DMPP and getting a SUUNTO Cobra today frm the dive shop manager as a replacement. Tsunami Gear here in Okinawa is absolutely great when it comes to interceding for the customer with the manufacturers.

As an aside, I'm not particularly impressed with Oceanic's quality control either--I've had to replace my Chute 2 BC after 40 dives due to shoddy stitching and buy 4 new integrated weight pouches due to the way the tab is manufactured--they break off regularly.

If I have another problem with my Chute 2, I'm going Zeagle or wing and backplate. I do very much like the integrated handle on the Chute 2, though.

I'm having problems with my data trans, not so much with it losing time, more along the lines this will be my second since about April,2001. I'll be able to use it for only about 10-12 dives before it comes across with a low battery message. then will shut down. Replaced both batteries, no luck there.. Any way it's being sent back AGAIN to Oceanic, Lets see what they do this time..
my husband has the data max, doesn't lose time, he's on his third one, the first would not down load starting/ending air press. the next one was reading 250lbs. pressure while it was not connected to anything, so far so good on this one only in the water twice on this one before mine died.. The dive instructor has had his computer since they started making them and had yet to have any problems. Must be the florida waters.. Ha-ha.

Back
Top Bottom