Oceanic Delta 4 vs Zeagle flathead VI and DS-V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkenph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I am sure this has come up alot. I just can't find it when I do a search. I am looking at Oceanic Delta 4 and the Zeagle's Flathead and DS-V. I have read that servicing Zeagle's is easy since they have kits that can be used and all the parts can be replaced. But, I have found nothing as for the Delta 4. I live in the Philippines so, I found Zeagle Dealers that do the servicing to. But, again I have found nothing about Oceanic.
So, I am starting to lean to the Zeagles. But, I hear alot of good things about the Delta 4's. So, I am not sure which one to go with of the 3. Is the DS-V good as an oct and use either the Flathead VI as primary or the Delta 4? Any ideas and or suggestion? As of right now. My diving will be rec. But, also working to get my Master Diver or maybe a DM. And later on working on tech.

I own two DSV's, two Flathead VI's, and have dove the Delta 4 since my instructor has one. The DSV is the best bang for the buck. I like the performance of the Zeagles better than the Delta 4, and I can't feel a difference between a DSV and a Flathead VI. The Zeagles are super easy to maintain, I can do a first stage rebuild in about 15 minutes while watching tv, they are just super easy and reliable. I've dove deep and cold, including ice dives with mine and they were ALWAYS reliable.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Don't know anything about the Delta, but I love my Flathead - breaths easily and never had a problem.

I've never used these regulators but have been curious about them. Originally, the Zeagles were Apeks clones and I understand that has changed. First stages are usually easier to rebuild than second stages. This wasn't always true but since the advent of pneumatic springs (balance chambers/pistons) and spring tension knobs many second stages have become rather complex and touchy. These new "balanced" regulators have O rings, pistons, containment tubes, clips, screws, pins, nuts, etc and need special tools to assemble and tune.

The Delta 4 is simpler and should be easier to work on than the Zeagle but looking at the shop manual for the Delta that may not be so. The mechanism doesn't look complex and has a balance gimmick that really doesn't seem to do much, but the manual indicates many separates steps to overhaul. However, Scubalab rated this regulator as "testers choice" in 2005 and Scubaboard readers seem to love it. I don't dispute any of this but just wonder how they do it. There is nothing about the drawings which suggest anything other than conventional design which includes one unusual feature, a "balance" piston which varies poppet spring tension by a small amount in accordance with water pressure. It is really nothing more than an adjustment knob which can also make small variances in the spring tension automatically. I guess the high performance just has more to do with careful selection and arrangement of the components so that they function in an efficient way.

Zeagle second stages are easy to rebuild and easy to adjust. The Oceanic Delta 4 second stage is sort of a mixture between an Aeris Pro and a typical unbalanced regulator. Essentially it is an unbalanced second stage with an adjuster added as an afterthought.

That said, the Oceanic delivers a lot of air, just like the Zeagle. I've never dove (dived?) an Oceanic, but I've rebuilt several and they're more complex than they need to be and they work well. I must state here that Oceanic and Aeris are sister companies, so similarity between the brands is to be expected.

I've rebuilt many, many Zeagles, and they're simple, reliable, and easy to work on. You really can't go wrong with either reg.

I've never used these regulators but have been curious about them. Originally, the Zeagles were Apeks clones and I understand that has changed. First stages are usually easier to rebuild than second stages. This wasn't always true but since the advent of pneumatic springs (balance chambers/pistons) and spring tension knobs many second stages have become rather complex and touchy. These new "balanced" regulators have O rings, pistons, containment tubes, clips, screws, pins, nuts, etc and need special tools to assemble and tune.

The Delta 4 is simpler and should be easier to work on than the Zeagle but looking at the shop manual for the Delta that may not be so. The mechanism doesn't look complex and has a balance gimmick that really doesn't seem to do much, but the manual indicates many separates steps to overhaul. However, Scubalab rated this regulator as "testers choice" in 2005 and Scubaboard readers seem to love it. I don't dispute any of this but just wonder how they do it. There is nothing about the drawings which suggest anything other than conventional design which includes one unusual feature, a "balance" piston which varies poppet spring tension by a small amount in accordance with water pressure. It is really nothing more than an adjustment knob which can also make small variances in the spring tension automatically. I guess the high performance just has more to do with careful selection and arrangement of the components so that they function in an efficient way.

A few things to note, the Zeagle second stages are much simpler than the Oceanic's. I own 2 Oceanic GT3's in addition to 4 Zeagles, and the Zeagles are an easier unit to work on by far and require no special tools at all. In fact for the first and second stages, the only specialty tool for Zeagle is the pin spanner to get the first stage diaphragm clamp loose, and other than a wrench to loosen the nut that holds in the air barrel, and a 3/16" allen wrench for the seat, you dont need any other tools to disassemble the entire second stage.

Thanks guys,

I think I will stick with the Zeagles I like that are simple. I believe in the KISS method Which is: Keep It Simple Stupid.:D (picked the the saying from the Army). The more I read about Zeagle the more I like them. Thank you again for your input. I am also, looking at getting a Brigade from Scuba toys too.

My wife and I use DS/V's. They work great and my LDS owners says you won't notice the difference between it and the Flathead until about 200 feet. Then there's a difference but not significant. I've used mine in cold water and at maximum rec depth with no difference than warm and shallow. The DS/V and Flathead are both the first stage and use the ZX second stage.

I have 3 Delta4s and I love them. But if you don't have a local dealer to perform your service, I wouldn't buy them. They're simple to work on, all the parts can be replaced, the annual service parts come in a kit, and Oceanic has the best warranty available. But you should have a certified tech doing your maintenance no matter what brand you buy.

Back
Top Bottom