Oceanic DATA Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look there's a saying in the high end technology business ...new stuff like this mask would be considered the bleeding edge ..as opposed to the cutting edge of technology ...beware the bleeding edge hype till all the kinks are worked out. Suunto D9 were 1800 bucks last year ...now they retail for 1000 bucks ...next year I'm sure they'll be 800 bucks and all the kinks will be in the bin by then. Wait till afterr the freaks have covered the cost of R&D ..then pick one up at the real target price...

Very good point Skull. I have worked in automotive and work in IT. Everybody is always talking about the latest, coolest gadgets or cars and I have always been the type that says, "At the least, wait until the rev. B comes out."

The latest technology will ALWAYS be sky high out of the gate, and ALWAYS goes down after some time.

does the data mask replace the dive computer? Or does it just compliment it?

Yes, it replaces your computer or adds another for redundancy.

I purchased one and dove in Miami with it last week. I loved it. We had very poor visibility and I found the screen very easy to read. The mask was very comfortable to wear and was very balanced on my face. I am concerned (and have read on this board) about the corrosion of the screws on the mask, and I did notice about an 8 degree difference in the temperature (Datamask was reading low). One of my dive buddies was diving my Smartcom and that computer is dead on in all of its readings. I am going to contact Oceanic about the temperarture and screw issue this week. We will see what they say.

I dove with a relative newbie (24 dives) who had 2 bags of dive gear that he hauled on the boat. He had the data mask and one really good piece of advice. He had put a lanyard on it so that he could easily retrieve it should it get accidently kicked off his face.

I got a Datamask in late Nov. I've been very impressed with all but 1 thing on it. I only wish they would make a slightly smaller version (mask- wise) for those of us that have slightly smaller faces. I tend to have to work it around some to get it to seal well without leaking. I can make it work, but just wish they could make 2 sizes to help it to fit a bit more snugly. Having all my diving data right there in easy reading distance is wonderful!

I did notice about an 8 degree difference in the temperature (Datamask was reading low). One of my dive buddies was diving my Smartcom and that computer is dead on in all of its readings. I am going to contact Oceanic about the temperarture and screw issue this week. We will see what they say.

Please post on their response. Mine is reading low as well, but I just didn't care enough to look into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom