Oceanic DATA Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried one on, but didn't bother to dive it.

It's heavy...

I believe these go together... It is a bit heavy on land, but when diving, it is not... A scuba tank is rather heavy on land too... But when I dive with them, they don't seem that bad!

The air in the mask will give it enough lift that it does not seem heavy in the water at all. We did the first demo dive with them, about 25 people diving them in Cozumel, and the response was overwhelmingly positive.

Maybe not for everyone - but it is one of the coolest new gadgets out there, and more than just cool... it's very functional especially for photographers who want to leave their hands free. And the ability to have all your data right there when making ascents, night dives, etc is amazing.

Again, the price may put it out of reach for some, but a Lexus is out of reach for some... that doesn't mean it's a bad car.

Been diving with it myself about 3 weeks now, 3 dives a week. Our instructor has had it on as well, so has hubby.

Here's the take on it.

1. The field of view is actually very good for the mask component. It clears easily enough in one breath.
2. In very low vis situations such as silt outs like we can get into it was a godsend. By far the best part about computer in a mask. Nothing worse than not being able to see your gauges against your mask. Been there, done it, sucks big time.
3. It was a nice to do a mapping project with the DM candidate and be able to keep an eye on them, the topography, and the computer while maintaining light and operating the video.
4. My advanced divers want multiple transmitters, to the point of not buying this model until that gets solved.
5. The buttons can be found and manipulated with 7mm gloves on. Thank goodness, as some computers on the wrist fail at that demand.

Worth the money? It depends on what kind of diving you do. For some who work in silt out conditions like my public safety guys, they love it. My instructor likes it as well as it permits him to keep an eye on students and his air.

I sold a DataMask yesterday to an avid photographer who was really excited to get his hands on it. He spends 10's of thousands of dollars on his photography, and he sees the cost of the DataMask as perfectly reasonable, because he thinks it will improve his fun and enjoyment in photography.

I think this mask, like any expensive product, is well suited to two types of people...

1. Those who work hard, have been financially successful, and love gadgets. They get their fun in life out of enjoying the financial resources they earn.

2. Those who do types of diving where the benefit of heads-up display are an improvement in current equipment. In that case, the cost is reasonable.

Oceanic should be congratulated for the development of this product. Remember, SEVERAL have announced the intention to do this in the past four or five year. Oceanic is the first to do it in any manner that might represent a commercial success. It doesn't do EVERYTHING that EVERYONE would like it to do, but neither does any other product. I bet Oceanic will make future improvements. This is, after all, a cool product.

Phil Ellis

I tried one out in a shop and have to say they've really nailed the optics for the LCD. Excellent job. I'm hopelessly short sighted and dive with contacts but then have trouble seeing guages etc close-up. But the optics on the HUD in this mask are truely something else. If I had the money, I'd buy one, but it'd be glued to my head during dives and I'd have a lanyard attached, maybe three extra straps and maybe another mask over the top...

I picked mine up last week and dove it last weekend on the wrecks off the coast of NC. Aside from a minor technical glitch, the mask is pretty cool.

It's easily the most comfortable mask I've ever worn.

Visibility is a bit less than my normal masks, but I'm used to diving with an Atomic Subframe or TUSA Visualator, both of which have better viewing than most masks. Somebody coming from a more traditional mask style/size probably won't notice a lessening in vision.

It's not a low volume mask, but I wouldn't call it high volume either. The lens is farther away from my eyes than I'm used to, but interior volume is less, so it probably works out to an average volume.

The LCD display could be better, and I'm sure it will be in further iterations. The blocky, 80's style characters are pretty annoying. They should have used a modern LCD panel like they do in the Atom or PP2.

Visibility of the display is outstanding. I had no trouble at all reading my depth, psi remaining, or O2 loading (diving nitrox). I shoot a lot of photographs UW and it's very nice to not have to look for my dive info. I just shift my eye a little and it's right there.

Yes, the price is high, but I doubt that Oceanic will have much trouble selling the first run of 3300 units. The fact that there are no discounts or keyman pricing allowed is irritating though.

There must be something good about them. Last month in the Galapagos, the LDS that organized the trip brought one for the customers to try. Two were sold on the trip.

There must be something good about them. Last month in the Galapagos, the LDS that organized the trip brought one for the customers to try. Two were sold on the trip.

Yeah, but I heard those people are suckers for toys. We can't wait to get them wet again Jeff.

Guy

I dove mine yesterday while photographing our annual UW pumpkin Carving contest. I dove for 40 minutes and never had to look at my Atom 2. Even when viz was HORRIBLE -- pumpkin guts and silt from bottom kickers -- I never had an issue with knowing how much air I had or what my depth was. The viz was so bad I got lost trying to find the exit to the quarry -- something I've done dozens of times!

does the data mask replace the dive computer? Or does it just compliment it?

Look there's a saying in the high end technology business ...new stuff like this mask would be considered the bleeding edge ..as opposed to the cutting edge of technology ...beware the bleeding edge hype till all the kinks are worked out. Suunto D9 were 1800 bucks last year ...now they retail for 1000 bucks ...next year I'm sure they'll be 800 bucks and all the kinks will be in the bin by then. Wait till afterr the freaks have covered the cost of R&D ..then pick one up at the real target price...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom