Oceanic DATA Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Is there anybody that can afford one?" would be MY question.

$1500 is almost enough to maybe get a drysuit or set up some doubles that would increase your diving capabilities. It would also pay for a heck of a lot of training or buy 300 air fills that would also benefit your diving greatly. Don't see a $1500 mask doing that.

When the price drops to, say, the cost of a mask plus the cost of a computer, I might consider one.

LOL...nothing but fluff!!! :rofl3:

Don't talk about something you know nothing about. I used one on a demo in the Florida Keys. I liked it a lot. Search for my review. I did two or three of them. Yes, it is expensive, but if you compare the price to the cost of a high end AI wireless computer and mask and then add the incredible convenience of just looking down to see the computer, it may well be worth it.

Does this qualify as a low volume mask?

Personally I think it's a great idea. At least as a backup if nothing else and for zero visibility diving.

Sometimes I look at my computers dive history while on the surface. Probably not so easy with that mask/computer.

Otherwise, I think it is cool as hell. Would love to have one.

There was an Oceanic rep in my LDS on Wednesday this week. He said they just started to retail this week and I think he said there were 3300 units shipped in this first batch.

He had a demo unit in a pouch and showed it to the mgr of the shop, I didn't even ask to see it. To much $$ for me.

Don't talk about something you know nothing about.

Why not? It's the ScubaBoard way. :wink:

I used one on a demo in the Florida Keys.

I bow to your expertise. My only experience is trying one on in an LDS to see if it fit my face (it didn't) and how big and where the display was (plenty big and clear to read but blocks my view out of the lower right corner of the mask).

Yes, it is expensive, but if you compare the price to the cost of a high end AI wireless computer and mask and then add the incredible convenience of just looking down to see the computer, it may well be worth it.

I think that is what I said, except for specifying the "high end AI computer" part. How do you know that the computer that is intergrated into the mask is "high end"? And compared to what? The "incredible convienience" of looking down to the part of the mask that blocks a bit of my view v. the "incredible convienience" of glancing at my wrist isn't worth $600-700 to me. It may be to you, however.

Price breakdown:

Mask - $75
Wrist Computer - $350
Glancing at wrist occasionally during dive - Free
Total - $425

Mask - $75
"high end" AI Computer - $800
Glancing at wrist occasionallt during dive - Free
Total - $875

HUD Mask - $1499

Apologies to the OP for the OT posts.

My wife bought it for me. I LOVE it. I don't really notice the slight loss of view on the right side, I can scroll through the dive just like on my Versa Pro. I have trouble seeing the small numbers on the Versa Pro and I can't see the numbers on my SPG anymore. I know what each blur is though. My far vision is great. I've tried the masks with the little corrective lenses in the bottom, and am looking for the perfect corrective mask. My wife has contacted Oceanic about corrective lenses for the Datamask. But I can see the numbers in the mask perfectly. Barely a glance and I see everything. I know the price is high, but I believe that once these catch on, the price will go down, especially once other manufactors pick up on it.

Anybody diving one? Any feedback on them?

I tried one on, but didn't bother to dive it.

It's heavy, lopsided and has an asymmetrical field of view (which is small to begin with).

It's a nice concept, but until Oceanic can come up with a full field-of-view in a lighter mask, with a real computer, I'll skip it.

What would be nice is to project the data from the Galileo Sol about 10' in front inside a normal mask.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom